Everything Instant On

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Mesh?

• 1.  Mesh?

Posted 08-06-2019 07:03 PM

I am wondering how exactly mesh works. I have all APs connected to PoE/Ethernet at the moment - but how would mesh networking configure itself? If I connect another AP just to power and not to Ethernet, which band would be used, how much bandwidth will be available to the clients etc. ? What are the implications on the rest of the (wired) network?

• 2.  RE: Mesh?

Employee
    Posted 08-07-2019 10:18 AM

@axthemax When the AP is powered on it will broadcast a mesh SSID and the one plugged in would receive the request and the two would start communicating via 5Ghz. The Clients and the Mesh would share the channel and depending on how busy the network is would have little impact between the two AP's and have no effect on the wired network.

• 3.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 08-07-2019 10:50 AM

@GThiesen, is meshing strictly over 5 GHz (vs also 2.4)?

• 4.  RE: Mesh?

Employee
    Posted 08-07-2019 11:32 AM

@chrislund Yes only 5Ghz

• 5.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 08-22-2019 09:42 AM
    Is it possible to do 2 mesh hops in a coverage, outdoor environment if Ethernet cabling is not an option? In other words, can I use an AP11 or AP12 wired and then connect via MESH an AP17 and then behind that AP17 another AP17? Again this is an coverage network (garden) not a capacity network.

• 6.  RE: Mesh?

Employee
    Posted 08-29-2019 10:28 AM

@BartT Yes, this is typically not recommended, however possible but you lose 50% bandwidth per hop with a max of two hops and max of 8 children(points) to a portal. 

• 7.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 08-31-2019 12:36 PM
    How to setup mesh 2 hops that you mention. i tried to setup mesh 2 hops. Third AP alway try to find first AP(Master) that it out of coverage area then Serial number not show on App. How to set up Third AP find second AP. Thank you Master AP11---Mesh 1 Hops--> AP11(Second AP) -----> Mesh 2 Hops --> AP11(Thrid AP)

• 8.  RE: Mesh?

Employee
    Posted 09-01-2019 12:02 PM

@WinlyChan Try bringing your third AP back close to your Master AP for discovery and once it gets discovered move it back to being the third hop away.

• 9.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 07-02-2021 07:37 AM
    In case of just 2 APs one on the first floor and the other at the second floor, both connected to a switch. Is mesh necessary in order to deploy guest network and clients wont have to change network moving from first floor to the second and vis versa?

PS if both APs connected to the switch through eth cable and on that switch modem/router also is connected wont both would like  to take the role of the master of the mesh portal?  How to avoid that?

------------------------------
    Jim tsoutsouras

• 10.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 07-04-2021 01:47 AM
    If you have both on sam switch or vlan, why bother with mesh? You don't need it. Just create guest wlan. If you want to have more separation, create separate vlan on switch for guests.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 11.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 07-04-2021 03:38 AM
    On the contrary....I dont need more seperation, as I mentioned I need clients moving from 1st to 2nd floor not  having to reconnect with their devices again. Another reason is that I would like to know how to implement mesh when APs are connected via eth to the same switch.

Assuming that i combine 2.4 & 5Ghz bands to broadcast as one ssid on both APs and having the exact same ssid and password wouldnt that create any kind on conflict when two devices with different macs, broadcast the same ssid which on top of that has the same password? When the clients would search for available wireless connections, which of the two would appear on the search  screen and how could someone know?

Thatis why I prefer mesh in order to configure only the master AP instead of all of them

Jim tsoutsouras

• 12.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 07-04-2021 03:54 AM
    Hi Jim.

Just connect both APs in the switch as you did and cluster will be formed so you don't need to worry about roaming. Clients will be able to move between APs seamlessly.

I'm still puzzled why you need a mesh. You can't form the mesh when both APs are on switch. Mesh is only used when you don't have wired connection between APs.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 13.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 07-04-2021 04:06 AM
    I know by default mesh is being created when the first AP only is connected to the router and the other APs as long as they are  in a discoverable distance from the master one, are been initialized by it and that is mesh...extending the wifi area further without the need of eth cables only power for the switch. 

You mentioned above <<You can t form  the mesh when both APs are on switch>>  That is good straight to the point info. Could you point me to a link where it mentions this, except from the fact that someone has to realize this for himself. So good info here ..thanks for that , at least I  didn't know that. I guess I should assume it by thinking the opposite of the mesh definition or something. Still could work both ways tough. 

Now, when they are both wired to the same switch how am I supposed to configure them? I think based on your previous answer both, but as I mentioned earlier? Both should have same SSID and password?

Jim tsoutsouras

• 14.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 07-04-2021 04:25 AM
    Hi Jim.

There is a difference between Instant and InstantON APs. To have mesh with Instant, you need to pair all APs on wired network before you can form the mesh. With InstantON the discovery process is different and only if AP is not on switch it will search for Mesh portal AP to join the cluster.

When you have all APs on the switch, they will automatically form the cluster and you configure the cluster and not individual APs. So when you create the SSID it will be broadcasted on all APs in the cluster.

Check InstantON help for details Aruba Instant On Deployment Concepts

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 15.  RE: Mesh?

Posted 07-04-2021 05:43 AM
    Thank you for your insight on this. Forgot to mention that from the 3 APs in total. The separate one will be the Instant On AP15 and the 2 APs I needed for the mesh will be 2 x Instant On AP12.

Jim tsoutsouras