Everything Instant On

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

New Firmware 1.2

• 1.  New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-21-2019 10:30 AM

I received new firmware today and the new version is 1.2.0.0 build 71842. Haven't noticed any changes yet, though.

• 2.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-21-2019 04:32 PM

wrong subject, should read 1.2

• 3.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-22-2019 09:10 AM
    I just updated and it went smooth.

I think this is in preparation for the 1.2 app and portal update. Because right now the available app version is 1.1.

We may see what changed when the new version rolls out.

• 4.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-25-2019 03:09 PM
    As far as I saw:
    - We're now able to block clients (swipe to do so)
    - We're now able to limit the bandwidth of a network
    - Translation updates
    - New GUI for IP and VLAN configuration

• 5.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-25-2019 07:40 PM

Good to see this progressing. The App does not seem to be rolled out in my region, but all changes are visible in the cloud UI. I suppose Charmacas nailed it with a list of all the new features already. Noteworthy and maybe not obvious (at least to me) are:

• bandwidth restrictions can be applied to any network, not only guest networks
    • an employee network can now also be configured with the "Instant On (NAT)" option
    • any NAT-type network can now be assigned a subnet (used with DHCP)
    • employee networks using NAT can access private network ressources (have access to the bridged network), while guest networks (always using NAT) are only allowed to access the public Internet

• 6.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-29-2019 11:20 AM

@axthemax @Charmacas 

From my understanding the bandwidth restrictions are 'per client' and do not apply to the entire network. Per client bandwidth is great but being able to prevent the entire network from consuming X amount of bandwidth would be even more helpful.

• 7.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-29-2019 11:37 AM

I suppose a "per-network, per-SSID" bandwidth restriction is not so easy to implement as a per-client restriction, given the bandwidth usage can be distributed across multiple or many access points and in a bridged environment with an external gateway, there is no single point to control the bandwidth. There is obviously some sort of "invisible virtual controller" and for "NATed" networks one could use the "virtual gateway" to control the bandwidth there - but not for bridged environments, where traffic would flow directly from individual access points to a gateway. In my opinion, if you want to implement this - I'd use a separate VLAN and limit the bandwidth at the gateway router.

• 8.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-30-2019 11:36 AM

@axthemax 

If I am going to controll the entire network/SSID/VLAN bandwidth with my gatway router then I would do the same thing for the per client bandwidth as well. Surely if they can prevent each client from comsuming X amount of bandwidth on the SSID then they can prevent an entire SSID from consuming X amount of bandwidth. 

• 9.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Employee
    Posted 08-30-2019 11:44 AM

@derrick The bandwidth controls for the AP today are for the SSID only and not per client. 

• 10.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-30-2019 12:03 PM

@GThiesen 

Capture.JPG

Sorry I figured this meant it limits each client that connects to the SSID.

So if is set this to 5Mbps then that network as a whole will not comsume more than 5Mbps?

• 11.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Employee
    Posted 08-30-2019 12:17 PM

@derrick  @axthemax You are correct for that SSID.    Correction to my statement the bandwidth limit is a per-user session.

• 12.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 08-30-2019 06:30 PM

Got a bit confused - just tested it with two clients on an enterprise SSID/network and a bandwidth limit of 5Mbps. Each client gets 5Mbps.... It is a per client limit and it even says so in the UI if you set it to unlimited: "There is no lmiit for internet usage PER CLIENT"....

• 13.  RE: New Firmware 1.2

Posted 09-03-2019 09:16 AM

@axthemax That was my understanding as well (see screenshot in earlier post). That is why I would like to see this be able to be applied to the entire network.

If if have a 50Mbps circuit I don't want my guest network to be able to consume all the bandwidth my employees need to perform critical work tasks on the employee SSID.