Everything Instant On

View Only
  • 1.  Force client to connect at 5ghz

Posted 11-04-2019 05:38 PM

I have several client devices mainly Roku's and Amazon firestick's that seem to prefer the 2.4ghz band. I get horrible bandwidth on my 2.4ghz (the amazon fire stick is 4k and seems to only pull 11mbit on 2.4ghz which causes a lot of stuttering and buffering). Is there any way to force the client to use the 5ghz band? I understand band steering is on but these devices just do not seem to comply. I know they support 5ghz as my previous wifi I had to separate out the SSID's to separate bands and force them to connect to the 5Ghz only SSID. I have an AP11.

• 2.  RE: Force client to connect at 5ghz

Employee
    Posted 11-05-2019 10:46 AM

@DjPookie BandSteering (preferred 5GHz band) is always enabled on Instant On. The client may see a better and stronger signal with the 2.4GHz and connect to it first.

• 3.  RE: Force client to connect at 5ghz

Posted 11-05-2019 03:53 PM
    @GThiesen, I understand band steering is on, as I said in my original post. I'm saying it's not working for those clients and I want to override it. Being able to select the client in the portal and say only connect 5Ghz would be helpful. One TV is right next to the AP and it still prefers the 2.4Ghz band. I ran ubiquity AP's and they encountered the same thing with their band steering. I circumvented it by creating 2 separate SSID's one for 2.4 and one for 5ghz forcing the device to connect to the SSID only running 5Ghz.

• 4.  RE: Force client to connect at 5ghz

Employee
    Posted 11-05-2019 06:20 PM

Hi thanks for your feedback. As you said, band steering is constantly turned on. Please contact support if you continue to have such issues. 

Also, please note that we release new features and functionality with every software release periodically.

• 5.  RE: Force client to connect at 5ghz

Posted 11-19-2019 03:33 PM

I agree with your post. Band Steering is unreliable and I always opt for separate SSID and let my users have the freedom to choose which band they want to connect subject to their smartphone and laptop Wi-Fi capability.

We have been cheated by this Aruba Instant On access point. It's quite shocking that it doesn't have such a basic and simple feature which separates 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSID.

The software experience is a disaster. Users cannot connect to the access point's web interface via Local Area Network by entering the access point's IP address into the web browser like what we are able to do on other access points. The webpage only shows information like Device Information, Connectivity, Network Information, Time and nothing else. We are bound to the mobile app and portal.arubainstanton.com which require internet connection and features are extremely limited. If I had known this I would not buy the AP15, I would rather go with the Aruba 300 series or 500 series since I'm already an existing Aruba 325 user.

• 6.  RE: Force client to connect at 5ghz

Posted 11-25-2019 06:42 PM

@November , treating InstantON similarly to a Campus AP or InstantAP isn t a right approach, 

- InstantON is dedicated to SMALL BUSINESS, it's dedicated to customers with a very limited IT knowledge or non-IT. 

- InstantON is a cloud-based solution ==> all management actions are done through portal.arubainstanton.com

- In my opinion, if you re looking for advanced radio/management features, go with Campus APs or InstantAPs, tons of advanced things to do with.