Everything Instant On

View Only
  • 1.  AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Posted 01-04-2021 06:17 PM
    I have 3 Aruba IO access points - AP11, AP12 and AP15. After roughly 5 days, I need to reboot the access points in order to recover from clients not getting a DHCP address / renewal from my DHCP server. I replaced my Unifi access points with the Aruba APs about 2 months ago.

I have the following setup:
    3 x APs
    HP 2930 PoE switch
    DHCP server running on Ubiquiti USG (tested it from PfSense DHCP server and pihole DHCP server, but getting similar issues).
    Clients varying from Windows, MacOS, Apple iPhones and IoT devices only using 2.4Ghz.
    The 3 access points are at the same spot on a floor, within a 3 storey house.
    I have not been able to do a tcpdump on the USG to see what happens when a client requests a DHCP address (and fail), as it always become noticeable during a critical point where the wireless service needs to be available.
    The SSIDs (4 different networks) are configured to be in bridge mode and to use the vlan assignment per network. Under normal circumstances, everything is working fine, but when a client does not get a DHCP address, rebooting the AP resolves the issue immediately.

Because I cannot log into the access point itself (like you could with Unifi access points), I cannot see why it would not pass the DHCP requests between client and server. 

How can I resolve / troubleshoot this?

• 2.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Employee
    Posted 01-04-2021 06:38 PM
    On your 2930 switch, make sure you have the VLAN's defined, and you have an IP helper-address pointing to your DHCP server for each VLAN. IF you are still having issues please reach out to support to assist in troubleshooting.
    https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/

------------------------------
    Greg Thiesen

• 3.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Posted 01-05-2021 09:29 AM
    Awesome, thank you for the quick response Greg. I'm going to configure it and test it the next couple of days (~5 days). If I'm still stuck then I'll contact the support team.

Nico Rautenbach

• 4.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Posted 03-04-2021 01:15 PM
    Did you ever get a solution for this issue?  I am seeing the same issue.

Chad Sparrow

• 5.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Posted 03-04-2021 01:16 PM
    I am seeing the same issue,  did support give you a fix for this?

Chad Sparrow

• 6.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Posted 03-04-2021 01:16 PM
    We are seeing the same issue.  We have AP505's all setup.  The users get DHCP fine for a few days even up to a week. They they randomly just start getting either 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x addresses.  Wired clients on the same vlan don't have issues.  We are running firmware 8.6.0.6_77124.  To fix we reboot all ap's and it runs fine.  I have all the DHCP Helpers on the cisco switches.  I have tried clearing arp and mac addresses to resolve it.  We bounced the switches and routers this weekend and it started after just a few days.   

Any help would be appreciated. 

Dan Nelson

• 7.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Posted 03-04-2021 04:49 PM
    Hi guys,

I've not yet been in contact with HP Support, but have tried a few things. One which seems to sort of have worked (until earlier this evening) was to provide a preset IP address for the APs from the DHCP server. It allowed my APs to stay on and serving DHCP addresses to all my clients for a total of 15 days (longest uptime so far). When I assigned them static IPs, they only lasted 4 days before having to be rebooted. With normal DHCP assigned IPs, they lasted 5 to 7 days. For some reason I think this is the main reason for these APs to going crazy.

The issue today still is super weird. 1 VLAN was working fine, but 2 others (1 VLAN being a mix of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz clients and another being pure 2.4Ghz) were going completely mad. The 2.4Ghz only VLAN still has issues with clients not getting an IP, even though I've changed the DHCP server back to my USG. This specific wireless network is also super slow at the moment. Tcpdumps on all possible points doesn't indicate any strange traffic, so this is really baffling me at the moment. 

I'll update this as soon as I got feedback from HP support - I will be contacting them tomorrow.

Nico Rautenbach

• 8.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Employee
    Posted 03-04-2021 05:17 PM
    Are the 3 AP's all in different VLAN's from the default at the same site? Or is these 3 different sites?

• 9.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Posted 03-05-2021 12:59 AM
    All 3 are in the same site serving all the clients, but for different VLANS.

Nico Rautenbach

• 10.  RE: AP reboot to resolve DHCP issues

Employee
    Posted 03-04-2021 05:33 PM
    Dan,

This forum is for Aruba Instant ON if you could please post your question in the Airheads community.
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/home