Everything Instant On

View Only
  • 1.  DHCP IP Address Pools

Posted 05-26-2021 07:31 PM
    Is there currently a way to assign a network's DHCP server a pool of addresses? For example: 192.168.5.0/24 with a DHCP address range of 192.168.5.2 - 192.168.5.200

Using an AP11D as the router, one other AP12 in the environment.

------------------------------
    Alex Morgan

• 2.  RE: DHCP IP Address Pools

Posted 09-19-2021 04:05 PM
    To be an effective "router", the 11D really needs better DHCP control. Being limited to only assigning a base IP address and subnet is woefully shortsighted. Really need to be able to have even a modest addition of some features such as pool addresses and reservations. Yes, the InstantOn DHCP management DOES allow you to reserve addresses, BUT only to basically flag addresses that have been DHCP assigned by the device (11D). This is very poor. In environments where you will have statically assigned some devices (like printers) there is not easy method to then reserve those addresses. I would strongly strongly suggest that Aruba IMPROVE their DHCP features/options. Even a very basic, garbage TP-LINK, D-Link or Netgear device has better DHCP control.

Mike Grieco

• 3.  RE: DHCP IP Address Pools

Posted 09-20-2021 12:40 PM

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure it's a realistic expectation to have the AP11D act as a fully featured router. I believe the intent is to create those ad-hoc, basic networks when the user has limited technical ability, or it's simple convenience. 

I'd think if you need certain features a proper router would be the solution, not an access point that does double duty. 

That said, it would be amazing if Aruba released a decent, fully featured router under the AIO brand! If implemented well and priced reasonably, they could mop up some real market share. What’s their competition… UniFi routers? Sadly, without a router AIO is an incomplete solution for prosumers, Integrators and MSPs. 

Just my 2cents. 

Ethan