Everything Instant On

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Basic adding second ap11 to system

• 1.  Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 08-27-2021 10:05 AM
    have a very basic system  uk fibre internet  virgin media and ap11 access point all working great but when i try to add another the cloud portal never finds the AP although its in discovery mode

i can easily set up new site and add this troublesome access point without issue so i know its factory reset and in discovery mode

this is using the app and also the portal on a wired laptop on same lan

------------------------------
    Adrian Cross

• 2.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 08-30-2021 02:52 PM
    can anyone point me to support for these products came over from ubquiti as thought the aftersales would be better

Adrian Cross

• 3.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 08-31-2021 02:03 PM
    I had this issue a while back and the solution was to log out of the controller, cleared my cache and it worked. I'm unsure if that was purely coincidence or the actual solution, as it's only happened the one time.

Ethan

• 4.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Employee
    Posted 09-01-2021 09:37 AM

Good morning Adrian,

We're not sure what controller you're referencing. Could it be that you're referring to the Cloud portal? To confirm your question, are you asking about the AP11 not being discovered by the Cloud portal when you try to add it? How are the AP11's connected to an uplink?

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 5.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-02-2021 11:56 AM
    I’m
    Using the portal

The api are wired directly to the Virgin router

All cables are working

Like I said I can add any of the api as a new site BUT cannot add any of the api to an existing site

Says can take upto 5 mins to discover but times out

Must be a firmware fault

• 6.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Employee
    Posted 09-03-2021 05:53 AM
    Hi Adrian,
             Thanks for your response.

Can you check if both the ports on the router where the APs are connected are in bridged mode.

In order for multiple devices to be added to the same site, they need to be on the same vlan so that they are able to discover each other.

Dhanasekar Panneerselvam

• 7.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-03-2021 06:33 AM
    all ports on virgin router are working

like i said i CAN add the AP11 to a new system just not add to a system

looks like i might be sending them all back as this is crazy

Adrian Cross

• 8.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-03-2021 11:31 AM

Adrian, do you have a pretty "flat" network, or do you have VLANs set up, etc? 

If there aren't any major custom settings, why not remove your current equipment from that site, then create a new site with all the equipment you want to add? 

No, it's not something you should have to do, but perhaps it's a workaround for whatever weird issue you've run into? 

If you've come from Ubiquiti, you're more than familiar with dealing with bugs. This workaround shouldn't be the biggest deal. I have to say though, it is troubling that this is happening and wish we could get to the bottom of it.

Ethan

• 9.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-03-2021 06:52 PM
    Your web browser or cell app must be connected to the same VLAN, wireless/wired, that the 1st AP11 resides when adding additional AP or 1930 switch. Other words, you must be at the site, physically or virtually, where you're adding AP.

• 10.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-04-2021 05:30 AM
    yes on same lan on virtual lans set up a really basic setup

Adrian Cross

• 11.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-04-2021 05:36 AM
    Well its seems the answer to my issue was very basic even the uk distributor 4gon couldnt help

on setting up a site you are asked if your behind a firewall or an existing gateway OR your instant will be connected directly to your modem supplied by your isp

well i choose the latter as thats what i have  but then it doesnt work

so reset and setup with incorrect answer and then it allows you to add another instant on

Adrian Cross

• 12.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-04-2021 12:43 PM

Hey that's great news! 

However, it sounds like maybe you've misunderstood the meaning of those settings? 

In the US in particular, ISPs can deliver only a modem, and the end user supplies their own router. Conversely, you could put an ISP supplied router into bridge mode. 

I believe you have a router from your ISP Virgin, no? If so, then you're behind a firewall and router (unless you’ve had it placed into bridge mode)

If you choose the setting to connect directly to your modem, the AP acts as a router and assigns a different subnet. 

(if I'm wrong and you weren't behind a router or it was in bridge mode I apologize, but want to make that bit clear for others)

Ethan

• 13.  RE: Basic adding second ap11 to system

Posted 09-06-2021 07:09 AM
    Virgin supply these horrible things, they're basically someone else renting the virgin name. (My dad is now using a synology router because well, face it. the virgin one sucks for features.

If you want to use the virgin router as is, then just tell your AP's they are behind another router and it should work. 
    Otherwise, you can probably tell the primary AP11 its the router getting DHCP from upstream.  and the second one it's behind another.

Still can't change my name from FL17!