Everything Instant On

View Only
  • 1.  Custom DNS on instantOn

Employee
    Posted 05-27-2021 02:23 AM
    Hello all. I have a custom DNS I added to my InstantOn network. It seem after about 1 month or so the custom DNS drops and I have to re-add it again. I made a pihole for my DNS gave it a static IP and place the IP in the instantOn configuration location. Was wondering if anyone else had the same issue..

------------------------------
    Ramon Pastor

• 2.  RE: Custom DNS on instantOn

Posted 05-28-2021 10:23 AM
    Hi Ramon,

You are the second user here who's complaining about this issue.

Like you, I am using a Pi-hole as a DNS server on my network, but I haven't had the IP address of the DNS server misteriously changed. Unlike your setup, in my network, the DNS server is not configured as 'Custom', it is 'Network assigned':

All of my devices - the Instant On switch and access points, the DNS server, the NAS, firewall - they have statically assigned IP address, network mask, gateway, DNS IP. See below the configuration for the switch. I can only assume that this is the reason my DNS server doesn't randomly change.

Valentin Voica

• 3.  RE: Custom DNS on instantOn

Employee
    Posted 06-06-2021 08:22 PM

i have set up my InstantOn AP-11D as the main router (converted) you could not change anything on it via IP connection or APP once its set up. i dont think you can change it still so unless i reset the whole AP-11D and redo my network.

AP-11D Converted to Router

unlike yours,  mine does not "Network Assigned" its ISP or Custom. the ISP is due to the AP-11D converted. 

DNS connection

Ramon Pastor

• 4.  RE: Custom DNS on instantOn

Posted 06-07-2021 05:14 PM
    By "the custom DNS drops" do you mean that the field containing the primary DNS address becomes blank, or changes to another address? Or maybe the selection randomly changes, from "Custom" to "ISP assigned" or "Automatic"? What about the Quad9 and Google DNS IP addresses? Do they change?

BTW, there is no need to hide private IP addresses, they are not routable outside your LAN. Hiding your public IP address is another story, though.
    ​​​

Valentin Voica

• 5.  RE: Custom DNS on instantOn

Employee
    Posted 06-13-2021 08:57 PM
    By "the custom DNS drops" do you mean that the field containing the primary DNS address becomes blank, or changes to another address?  - This area becomes blank after some time. its like 2-3 month it some how deletes and i have to re-add them into the system. 

maybe the selection randomly changes, from "Custom" to "ISP assigned" or "Automatic"?  - it does not switch over to Automatic or ISP assigned. it just stays on custom but the custom DNS are deleted. 

What about the Quad9 and Google DNS IP addresses? Do they change? - they also delete as well and just has the custom DNS is chosen but no DNS under it.

Ramon Pastor