Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  AP11D WAN Throughput

Posted 07-12-2020 12:21 PM
    I’m having trouble finding specs on the WAN throughput of the AP11D when used as Routing device. Any idea what kind of ISP link it can handle? I would assume it is only intended for a Small Office Cable Modem / DSL link.

• 2.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Employee
    Posted 07-13-2020 12:00 PM

@twhiteOXEN On AP as a Router, you should be directly connected to an ISP modem, which in most countries has a maximum throughput that is typically much less than what our AP product line is capable of delivering (E0 - gigabit ethernet). Therefore, in practice, the performance hit of being a Router should not have much of an impact on the overall user experience.

• 3.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Posted 07-13-2020 01:36 PM

Thanks @GThiesen. Yes that is the use case I'm wanting to prep for. For example most of our clients are using between a 200Mbps to 600Mbps connection. In a typical small office setting with 20 or fewer connected clients would the AP11D be able to handle a WAN 600Mbps connection? There would likely be an additional AP12 or AP15 connected downstream of the AP11D and a 1930 or 2530 switch for wired connections but again not more than 20 total client devices.

• 4.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Employee
    Posted 07-14-2020 11:48 AM

@twhiteOXEN The AP11D again should handle this based on the information you have provided.

Here is a deployment guide for future reference.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/Aruba_Instant_On_Deployment_Guide.pdf

• 5.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Posted 07-14-2020 12:05 PM
    Awesome! Thank you for your help @GThiesen!

• 6.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Posted 07-22-2020 08:18 AM

Thanks for the deployment guide. If I understand it right your ISP must provide an IP WAN address. There's no way to set a static IP for WAN on AP11D? So this isn't the solution for SOHO for static IP.

• 7.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Posted 10-29-2020 09:25 PM
    Hello @GThiesen  - The deployment guide that you referenced below failed to offer specifics.  I am seeking to know specifically IMIX Traffic and iPerf3 Traffic throughput in Mbps for L3 Forwarding, Firewall, and IPsec VPN in the Aruba Instant On AP11D; or at minimum, capacity of using routing within the AP11D, relative to your other Aruba offerings, listed here:
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/gateways-and-controllers/7000-series/

There is nothing posted on Aruba Instant On of what is technically possible with the routing platform on any of the datasheets or in the support help center, resources, or forum.

Additionally, am I correct in that only the AP's have routing functionality? Is an AP able to be a "router" connected to a switch which is connected directly to a cable modem in SOHO environments? (I imagine technically not.) Is there any other AP other than the AP11D with a LAN port, or a simple non-AP router to be released?

Can the wireless be turned off on the AP11D so that it functions solely as router?

Is Aruba Instant On equipment able to be paired with regular Aruba Cloud Gateways? Is extended supported for a fee a possibility?

Thank you,
    Tom

• 8.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Employee
    Posted 11-02-2020 11:37 AM
    @skytom The AP11D has a gigabit ethernet interface that can connect directly to your ISP's modem. And when in router mode there is overhead that is associated when routing and NATing traffic. The AP11D does not support IPsec VPN as the enterprise side of the house with the 7000's controllers. Any AP can be placed in router mode and then will hand out DHCP address on the local LAN. The AP11D is the only AP that has additional ports. The radios are always on and can't be turned off even in router mode. Instant ON hardware and Aruba Central are not compatible. Instant ON does offer additional support please see the link below.
    https://community.arubainstanton.com/blogs/gregory-weaver1/2020/09/29/aio-foundation-care

------------------------------
    Greg Thiesen

• 9.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Posted 11-02-2020 11:54 AM
    Thank you @GThiesen , -- those details and the Support PDF link are very helpful.

Is there a ballpark for routing with NAT and the firewall on in the AP11D, in terms of throughput?  My assumption is that they are capable of no more than 250 Mbps for iPerf3 traffic and 50 Mbps for IMIX, based upon the assumed access point chipsets, but it could be far less or far more.  I would consider these attributes to be foundational for effective deployment when designing a system for installation.  Would it be possible to have a technician test it and report back?

Additionally, if possible I would support either a basic stand-alone router, or the ability to turn off wireless in the AP11D.  That said, I will likely pair with a SonicWall or a pfSense box, but the AP11D is an interesting option for the home user and as a WISP CPE cloud-configurable, and expandable system.

Tom Sadlowski

• 10.  RE: AP11D WAN Throughput

Posted 01-25-2021 10:20 AM
    Aruba Global Solution Centre technical support has stated that the AP11D Firewall Throughput is 800 Mbps.