Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  How to release client from AP

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2020 10:09 AM

I have 2 AP15 about 40 feet appart.  Just notice smart Switches/Plugs and other devices are reporting weak connections.  Check the Aruba instantOn Portal and confirm AP:Client connection is weak.  The odd thing is that these devices are very close (same room as AP(1).  But they show connected to AP(2) which is mutch further away (40+ feets).   

How can I relase the clients from current AP connection so that they connect to the AP closer to them? (w/o rebooting both APs)

• 2.  RE: How to release client from AP

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2020 11:07 AM

@haboscio Reboot the client device and see which AP it tries and connect to. If the AP that is closer has any interference between the client and the AP it may try and connect to the other AP. Are the AP's mounted on the ceiling or on walls

• 3.  RE: How to release client from AP

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2020 11:24 AM

Many of these devides are in wall mounted Switches & Plugs which cant be reboot unless I turn off the electric brakers

I can try that, if there is no other option. But I would expect there to be away to release these clients from the AP that does not involved rebooting either end.  Please adivce

• 4.  RE: How to release client from AP
    Best Answer

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2020 11:43 AM

@haboscio You could try and block the wireless client which will release the client from the network, wait a minute or two and then unblock them and see which AP they connect to. That is your only other option besides the breakers.

• 5.  RE: How to release client from AP

Posted 10-15-2020 11:47 AM

@haboscio Aruba Instant had the option to disconnect clients, I used to use it for the same purposes as you wish to, but there doesn't seem to be a similar option in Aruba Instant On, this would be a useful feature @GThiesen. Most of my clients will move to the closest AP after a day or two but a few are super sticky. 

• 6.  RE: How to release client from AP

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2020 01:07 PM

Blocking the devices for a min did work. Once Unblock they were associated to AP nearby. Thanks

• 7.  RE: How to release client from AP

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2020 01:16 PM

@haboscio Keep in mind that if any interference comes into play the clients will roam to a better signal which could be the further AP.