Instant On - Wireless

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

• 1.  AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 12-24-2019 09:49 PM

I'm new to the world of Aruba and am having some difficulty setting up my network to match the consumer-grade device I'm replacing. Looking at the documentation online, I should see a toggle under Inventory > Advanced that allows for setting a static IP, subnet, gateway and DNS server. All I see are Base IP address and subnet.

I am at least online (yay!) and somehow managed to set the IP of the AP11 to that of the WAP it replaced (192.168.1.1) , but want to set the DNS as that of my Pi Hole (192.168.1.5). I just don't see where/how. I don't recall seeing the option to set these when I initially set up the device.

The relevant portion from the manual and what I see are below.There is no toggle present on the Advanced tab.

Aruba_AP11.png

• 2.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 12-26-2019 11:59 AM

Disreguard. I called tech support for help with ths and was told that since I purchased this via 3rd party (Amazon) there wasn't any support offered. So I'm returning both of the AP11s I purchased and buying from someone else. 

Even the Netgear devices these were supposed to replace were given support when purchased elsewhere. 

• 3.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 04-29-2020 05:58 PM

Is there any solution at all to set a DNS? I have the exact same issue and thinking of moving on to Unifi ones.

• 4.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 05-01-2020 04:09 AM
    I don't have an AP11 myself yet.
    For an AP15 the settings are there.

I will get an AP11d soon and will be able to test it there too.

• 5.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 05-01-2020 05:02 AM
    Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't find a way to edit my previous post.

Did you deploy this AP in Router Mode?
    Because I deployed my APs in AP Mode.

Maybe there is a difference in options depending on which mode was chosen.

• 6.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 05-01-2020 10:26 AM

Hey,

I have 3 AP11D setup in AP mode and the DNS option appears for me. Perhaps it matters which "Visibility and Control" setting is active? Mine is set to "Application activity summary" where it only shows bandwidth totals and does no content filtering, etc. If you have the content filtering "Application details (default)" enabled then I believe it needs to use Aruba's DNS partner to preform this function. I don't want to modify my system to check but it might be something you can try.

-Scott

• 7.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Employee
    Posted 08-25-2020 02:38 PM

i was told there is a way to set up a Static IP to the AP. you need to get the AP in defult mode and then do some config from there... link on it below... guys says Page 14 is where you can find out...

https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Instant-On-Guides/Aruba-Instant-On-User-Guide/ta-p/763

• 8.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 09-06-2020 11:32 PM

I have 2 AP11D, one in AP mesh with the other one in router mode.

I dont have DNS options. Tried application activity summary but that doesnt solve anything.

I asked 6 month ago and was told this is not available on instant On. I have also post an enhancement request but never get any feedback. I also have some roaming issue. Client are sticky connected on One AP and never connect to the best one.  Have to stop/start wifi on the device to be connected accordingly.

I'm thinking about replacing all ot them.

• 9.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Employee
    Posted 09-09-2020 01:11 PM

@Seb If you are trying to configure your AP11D as the router with a static IP address please take a look at this link on page 20 about setting your AP as a router. This will give you the ability to set the IP, Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS.

Aruba Instant On 2.1.0 User Guide 

For your roaming issue, please reach out to support and have them assist in troubleshooting.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/ 

• 10.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 09-09-2020 02:15 PM

I read the guide at the page 20, did you tried it on your own AP ?

My AP was already in Router Mode and when i go through local interface as specified in the guide, we can only see the config in read only.  

If we want to modify settings and set a custom IP for the DNS, we MUST switch to local management of the AP. To do so, we must reinitialize it.  

It confirm we cannot set IP for DNS if we want to manage the AP cloud base and with the app.

It would be so simple to edit the DNS IP field as we can do for the subnet ...

• 11.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 12-21-2021 12:20 AM
    Hello!
    Did you managed to solve this problem?
    I also have purchased the AP11D and now I see no option how to set a Static IP address (from my ISP) to it as soon as it is in a Router mode. 
    The config in WEBUI is in read mode only :(

• 12.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 12-22-2021 02:41 PM
    Hi everyone,

I think there's some misunderstanding about what the AP11D Router mode actually is, and what it's intended purpose is aimed at. At least, from my point of view.....

The 11D's router modem is really designed for those "work from home" deployments where no other option exists, or you may want some separation between networks.
    The 11D isn't really intended to be a replacement for a fully featured, dedicated router. It doesn't have many of the configuration options that you may be looking for and not sure how many want to switch into Local Management mode to achieve this.. That's not a knock on the device - it's an AP, not a router.  :) 
    The OP was miffed about the lack of support via a 3rd party purchase, but I think aruba has things set up fairly.

It's really cool to have the "router" option available when it makes sense, but if you need to use anything other than the most basic connectivity, use the right tool for the job - an actual router.

Just my opinion. :)  
    Best wishes.

------------------------------
    Ethan
    ------------------------------

• 13.  RE: AP11 - No option to set static IP, DNS, etc?

Posted 12-27-2021 06:33 AM
    I have to agree here. Use the correct device for the job.
    I use my ISP router as a router and disable the wifi on it. Then use the AP11d as a wifi access point which is its primary role. The fact that it can be used as a router doesn't mean you should.
    As an AP it performs very well and I wouldn't want it performing router functions as there is another dedicated device that does that well.

This is how I use it but may not be suitable for everyone.
    Regards