Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Problem w/ AP17, Aruba useless tech support

Posted 06-02-2020 03:37 PM

I installed an AP17 yesterday and it was fine, later I used the App to log in a make some adjusted and I set the IP to static on the AP, same IP as it's resevation in the router but of course maybe I type it in wrong cuz after that it was gone, although I could VPN into my router and ping it.  Went back to the site today and figured I'd reset the AP and of course the reset instructions don't mention that the clear plastic LED button unscrews and the reset sits behind it.  After a while I figured it had to be removable, reset and nothing changes, still can't set it up.  Flashes green and eventually goes to solid amber, verify the ethernet, I can still ping it but the App can't discover it.  At some point I pulled up its web page but it didn't fully populate.  I removed it from the inventory, reset it again, power cycled, rebooted the router, removed the reservation and tried again and nothing still. So I think it's still set to being static cuz it either didn't reuest DHCP or the Zyxel router just didn't give it one.  Rinse, wash and repeat a couple of times and still nothing so I ordered a new AP from Ingram Micro.

So I figured I'd called tech support at 18009434526, call rings, I get dropped, call back and get someone who takes my info, my first time calling, I don't have an email with a biz domain, I'm small, don't need one and I've had this email since going into business in 94' so she gives me a stink about it.  I recall Cisco doing the same thing about something else so what ever.  Then she asked for the serial number of my product and of course I don't have it on me and I'm not on the job and if I were at the job I don't have cell coverage.   I told her I just what to talk to a tech to see what else I can try and they don't need the serial number to do that.  Of course she says we have to have it, we have procedures that must be followed, you need a compnay domain email or we can't help you to which I replied well then maybe I don't need to sell Aruba products and hung up.  The way some of these idiotic companies operate is infuriating.  They make the simple absurd!

So how do I get a refund or repair for this AP17 or just advice that might be helpful?  And if Aruba can't accomodate me let me know and I give someone else a try maybe just keep using Cisco or give Zyxel wifi products a try cuz I'm kinda digging their router over the Cisco SMB products.  

• 2.  RE: Problem w/ AP17, Aruba useless tech support

Posted 06-02-2020 10:36 PM

So the AP17 is where it's supposed to be despite numerous factory resets and I did pull the reservation for this address in the router and used this trace to get the MAC to put it back into the router's static bind table.  

Why is it asking who the google DNS is?  I probably put that into the AP DNS field but in the router my 1st DNS entry was the ISP's DNS 1.  So me thinks this is sticky in the AP17 despite numerous factory resets.  Why would it be doing an arp request on this IP anyway?  Did I put it in the wrong field?  It did arp query the router/gateway of 192.168.31.1 so I probably entered the static assignments correctly.  Why isn't it resetting?  Are there more then one button inside the LED entry button?  I did 10, 15, 30, 40 seconds despite only needing to hold for 10 during run time.  

Screenshot 2020-06-02 22.25.20.png

• 3.  RE: Problem w/ AP17, Aruba useless tech support

Posted 06-05-2020 02:38 PM

Well it's now Friday I received the new AP17 from Ingram Micro, replaced the bricked one and provisioned the new one onto the system but this time I left this one's IP dynamic.  So I still can't call tech support cuz I don't have a business domain email and I don't know the serial number of this bricked AP17 so tech support won't talk to me and I don't seem to be getting much help here on the forum either, nothing tomely that's for sure.  I must say this isn't looking good for instant on as a suitable product line to replace some of the Cisco products I've been using.  God forbid I had a real emergency and a client demanding their system was 100% operational.  Fortunately these resi clients are only week end reisdents while the property is under renovations.  

So do I get some help or do I complain to my distributor about this defective product?  I'm mean really wtf! 

• 4.  RE: Problem w/ AP17, Aruba useless tech support

Employee
    Posted 06-05-2020 04:01 PM

@VAV  Ingram Micro should have the serial number that they sold to you and should be able to provide it to you. If you have a TAC case open please provide it so we can try and follow up with them.

• 5.  RE: Problem w/ AP17, Aruba useless tech support

Posted 06-05-2020 04:55 PM

So instead of being able to talk to any from Aruba to get simple advice and support, a suggestion of what I can try before requesting an RMA because the item is bricked your answer is for me to call Ingram Micro to see if they can get me the serial number of the access point I installed on a job.  I guess I once I get a list of possible serial numbers I can go through my various systems and see which AP17s are accounted for so I know which one I have that's bricked.  That's a wonderful solution to waste more of my time.  I'd get more satifaction just smashing it with a hammer and saying screw Aruba if this is what they consider tech support.   I'm finding this interaction pretty pathetic.

• 6.  RE: Problem w/ AP17, Aruba useless tech support

Employee
    Posted 06-05-2020 05:20 PM

@VAV I'm sorry you feel this way and don't feel you are getting the support you need. I would like to try and help you with the TAC case but I would need your case number if they created one for us to investigate and try and help come to a resolution.