Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Set threshold for weak connections

Posted 08-03-2020 12:00 AM
    I’m experiencing a situation where 5ghz clients are staying connected even on the far end of low connection quality. It may be related to band steering but I’m not sure. For example a device will stay connected to the 5ghz band with a -78db signal while the 2.4ghz is available at -71db (not great but good enough to use happily). I’d like to set 5ghz to drop clients if the signal is worse than -72db. Is there a way this can be done? This should be built in in some way to the existing bandsteering / auto band selection logic but it seems like the Default thresholds are just too high.

• 2.  RE: Set threshold for weak connections

Employee
    Posted 08-04-2020 02:34 PM

@twhiteWC There is no option to set a threshold of a client to be dropped based on the signal from one band to the next. If the client is capable set them to aggressively roam and that my help in this case.

• 3.  RE: Set threshold for weak connections

Posted 08-04-2020 07:42 PM
    @GThiesen — I see. With other solutions I’ve been able to do this via minimum allowed SNR but with this super simplified UI I don’t see any verbiage like that. I would really love to be able to require for example a minimum SNR of 20. Maybe in the future this could be a buried config item in the wireless settings like channel selection is today.

Or it could be an overly simplified 3 choices selector under More Options like the following:

Usage Profile:
    Optimize for Voice traffic (lower coverage range) — hidden from UI: SNR 25
    Optimize for General use (medium coverage range) — hidden from UI: SNR 20
    Optimize for Long Range (allow lower quality connections) — hidden from UI: SNR 15

• 4.  RE: Set threshold for weak connections

Employee
    Posted 08-05-2020 11:20 AM

@twhiteWC Thank you for the feedback we will make sure to pass this along to the product management team.

• 5.  RE: Set threshold for weak connections

Posted 08-05-2020 11:54 AM
    Thanks @GThiesen!