Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Posted 09-16-2019 03:26 PM

using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates, while i understand this might be interesting in terms of compatibility or even range , it is common best practice to set minimum datarate to 12Mbps.

This also helps prevent 'sticky connections' when roaming through a building. At this point there is nowhere where we can change the datarate or any other parameter on the radio, like: power, channels and channelwidth .

This would be most welcome . Hope to see this feature in the next firmware release

• 2.  RE: using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Employee
    Posted 09-17-2019 12:54 PM

@yousch Thank you for the feedback and this will be passed along to the product team for review.

• 3.  RE: using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Employee
    Posted 09-18-2019 05:49 PM

Thanks for providing your feedback. As you know, we are contantly improving the solution with new software releases and we will keep this feedback in mind for the future

• 4.  RE: using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Posted 10-11-2019 07:57 AM
    Hello, Same request about radio tuning. Maybe some basic settings can be selected whit a "knob" like: - Maximize Throughput (disable lower basic rates, lower transmit power to make smaller cells) - Maximize Coverage (Max power, enabvle lower basic rates) - Balanced Kind regards

• 5.  RE: using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Posted 10-11-2019 04:15 PM

Bump this, is a big deal, agree with setting minimum data rate at 12

• 6.  RE: using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Posted 10-14-2019 05:02 PM

IF you dont want to just purely disable this, then I would suggest having a check-box (that is disabled by default).

Feature name:   Support Legacy Devices

Functionality when enabled:  Minimum supported data rate at 11 to support legacy 802.11b devices.

Functionality when not enabled:  Minimum data rate at 12 (or 18).

• 7.  RE: using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Employee
    Posted 10-14-2019 11:32 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We are actively evaluating this currently. As we continually enhance the product, you can expect to see some enhancement in the area in the coming days.

• 8.  RE: using inSSider i noticed that InstantOn is still supporting 802.11b data rates.

Posted 01-04-2022 04:08 PM
    It's been over two years and we still don't have the ability to customize/disable basic data rates.  I've verified this in Ekahau with the sidekick as well as inSSIDer.   In the Instant On Tech Docs it specifically states: 

Extend 2.4 GHz Range

Aruba Instant On allows you to enable or disable 802.11b rates from the network by using Extend 2.4 GHz range checkbox. By default, 802.11b rates are disabled for all the networks. To enable this option, select the checkbox. This allows 2.4 GHz clients that are far away to connect to the network by enabling lower data rates.

I have tested with Extended Range enabled and disabled. 

------------------------------
    T Cannon
    ------------------------------