Instant On - Wireless

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

All APs limited to 90Mbps

• 1.  All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-02-2020 10:19 AM

My network has an AP12 and three AP11Ds, connected via a 1930 8 port PoE switch. I installed it about 10 days ago, replacing a Google WiFi mesh with ethernet backhaul + unmanaged switches.

In the last few days no AP has been able to achieve more than 90Mbps on the 5GHz band, even when close by and showing a strong signal, despite a 300+Mbps connection (confirmed via ethernet at the access point) and previously having achieved 200+Mbps wireless when first installed. I've reset all networks to WPA2 + WPA3 Personal and restarted the APs, but no improvement.

• 2.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Employee
    Posted 09-02-2020 04:46 PM

@NewNetwork Please reach out to support to assist in troubleshooting your slowness on your network.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/ 

• 3.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-13-2020 11:32 AM

Hi All

I have this same issues, 2xAP12 + 1930, AP's limited to 90Mbps Smiley Sad. Interestingly, after the first run, I had 500Mbsp, as with the wired connection to the switch 1930 however after one day appeared limit. In my lan I have approximately 25 devices mostly Apple (AppleTV, iPhone, iMac, iPad, HomePod and IoT - homekit devices).

Any ideas? 

Regards: Robert

• 4.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-14-2020 02:25 AM

I checked and this limit is only for Apple devices does not matter iPhone, iPad, iMac for iOS and xOS I have 90 Mbps limit. For Win10 nolimit this same speed as a wire connect to switch 1930 (?)

• 5.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-25-2020 09:38 AM

Hi guys

I have a method for limiting 90Mbps Smiley Happy

I will give two examples for which the method worked:

Apple TV: connected via WiFi, run the test, e.g. Speedtest Ookla (there is an AppStore), in my case it was 90Mbps.

Power off the Apple TV and connect the wired to the switch (1930), run the test again, in my case it was 498/29 Mbps (I have 500/30 internet access). You need to do a dozen test (10-20). After that we disconnect the wired from the switch and Apple TV switches to WiFi.

We restart Speedtest and ..... I had 480/25Mbps Smiley Happy

I did the same with the iMac on which I also had a 90Mbps limit!

I turned off the WiFi connected to the switch 1930 via the wired. I did some speed tests and worked like this for about 1 hour (results - 500/30, 498/28, all ok). Later I disconnected the cable and turned on WiFi. And … I ran the test and the results were super 498/25,500/30 via WiFi without 90Mbps limit.

It's a bit funny but it has been working for two days, I have no limit on these devices. I still have a problem with the IPhone and IPad because I can't connect them via the wired Smiley Happy.

Test it may also work for you.

Regards Robert

• 6.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-25-2020 11:43 AM
    The Mac addresses on the ethernet controllers should be different. Wonder why that would do that. Mine was linked to other devices on the same subnet being negotiated at 100 mbps or 10 mbps.

• 7.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-26-2020 11:13 AM

MAC and IP were different but I think ARUBA is using OS ID or Service ID to assign subnet. As is the case with AirGroup assignment in higher ARUBA systems.

• 8.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-14-2020 11:18 AM

I'm seeing the same on two ap22's. Sometimes it drops down to 10 I also am uplinking to a 24 port 1930.
    I saw the other comment about only iOS clients, interesting because I only tested it on my Android clients when it was happening including an Android tv. It does seem artificially limited like the network is getting a bandwidth limit set even though I have it unlimited.

• 9.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Employee
    Posted 09-14-2020 11:36 AM

@Donatom3 @Robert69  Please open a support case so that we can track and log the issues you are seeing.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/ 

• 10.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-15-2020 08:31 AM

@GThiesen I currently have an internet subscription of 700 down 300 up. I have the following results based on different connection type:

1. Wired connection to main switch shows 700 down 295 up (which is correct)

2. Wifi connection on main switch shows 90 down 295 up (down incorrect and up correct) (speed test app)

3. wifi connection on main switch shows 98 down (down incorrect) fast.com

4. Wifi connection through a ipref server locally on the main switch (400 down and 400 up) 

5. Wired connection through a secondary switch connected to the primary switch 700 down 290 up (which is correct)

6. wifi connection through a secondary switch connected to primary switch 90 down and 288 up (down incorrect and up correct) speed test app.

7. wifi connection on main switch shows 98 down (down incorrect) fast.com

8. Wifi connection through a ipref server locally on the main switch (490 down and 495 up) 

9. Wifi downloading files from internet has a limit of 90 mbps.

10. wifi downloading files from a local NAS can reach around 300 mbps.

This lead me to the conclusion that somehow the internet traffic is being throttled from the switch while local traffic is unaffected at all.

Hopefully this assist in solving this bug as I am holding the future deployment to customers until this is resolved.

• 11.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-22-2020 01:40 PM

Any updates to this? I'm seeing a similar issue when utilizing Instant on switches (24 or 8 port). When I plug the AP into a 2930M switches, I can download at 400x400, using instant onswitches I'm getting 20-30x300.

I opened a ticket yesterday and talked with someone thinking it was an AP issue (not switch) and after troubleshooting they got no where.

• 12.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Employee
    Posted 09-22-2020 02:27 PM

@AbdulazizWith all the information you provided, it would indeed point to the uplink connection between the Instant On switch and your internet gateway.  Have you checked the uplink connection has been established at 1Gbps/Full duplex?

Have you tried a different (Cat6) cable on your uplink?

If you are using the local Web UI to manage the switch, have you checked the setting for ingress rate limiting on the uplink port?

• 13.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 10-02-2020 02:35 AM

Hello;

Any timeline on when will this bug be ironed out as this is very impactful on the deployment and usage of these products.

• 14.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Employee
    Posted 10-02-2020 11:06 AM

@Abdulaziz Support and engineering are working to resolve this.

• 15.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 10-06-2020 11:28 PM

I think this is at the switch. I didn't notice until now but it affects all my vmware servers. 

They are hardwired at the switch, both windows and Linux vm's affected exactly the same. Limited to 90mbps when anything with a 100mbps connection is negotiated at the switch on the same vlan. I've had to go as creating a new vlan for the 100mb devices to keep them away from the rest.

• 16.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Employee
    Posted 10-13-2020 01:07 PM

@Donatom3 @NewNetwork @Abdulaziz @Robert69  We just released a new version of firmware for the AP's and switches please update and run some testing and let us know your results.

• 17.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 10-13-2020 01:18 PM

@GThiesen thanks ran the update I will test it out later today.

• 18.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 10-14-2020 11:55 AM

Ran the update yesterday. Slight hiccup in that all wireless devices initially reconnected using only 2.4GHz, but once that was cleared up (restarted wifi on each device) can now report that they are running up to the WAN speed (~350Mbps) instead of being capped at 90Mbps as previously reported.

Thanks for the fix! I feel more confident now I can see the product line is being actively supported.

• 19.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Employee
    Posted 10-14-2020 12:32 PM

@NewNetwork Appreciate the feedback and continued support of the Instant ON product. Please continue to use the community and support as we actively respond and monitor issues that arise in customer networks.  

• 20.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 10-15-2020 11:55 AM

In 2.1.1 the limit is gone Smiley Happy thx

• 21.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-23-2020 01:41 AM

Do you by chance have any devices on the same subnet as the wireless devices connecting at 100mbps and 10mbps?

I worked with support though they didn't find the issue they're troublehsooting led me to it. Moving my ssid to a new lan subnet that didn't hvae any device connected resulted in full speeds as expected. I had two devices causing my issues. One my Windows 10 pc was keeping the nic connected at 10mbps when sleeping to allow it to be waken. Everytime I went to troublehsoot I turned this pc back on which is why that was harder to find since my speeds jumped back to 90 from 9 everytime I turned it on.. I turned those featuers off in the power management of the nic. That got me to 90mbps consistently.

Then a roku hardwired at 100mbps was the other culprit. I put it on a lan seperate from the subnet that my wireless devices connected to and I got rid of my 90mbps barrier. I still need to give support these findings. Not sure if it's because of something the devices are transmitting or something the 1930 and ap22 are doing.

EDIT: Just tested it further if you have a 1930 as your switch, the switch or the ap is limitiing the speed of wireless devices to the slowest negotiated link on the same subnet. Put your ssid on a new subnet or just temporarily set it to the "Specific to this wireless network" and you should see what I'm seeing. I verified doesn't matter what device it is if anything negotiates less than 1gpbs to the switch on the same subnet your speed drops to about 10% below that negotiated speed. So a 10mbps device will drop your wireless speeds to 9mbps a 100mbps device drops your speeds to 90mbps.

• 22.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-23-2020 10:56 AM

For me I believe the issue is when you have 2 instant on switches that are both different model being managed by the cloud portal. To get back the full speed i had to change my 8 port switches to local mode only which then solved the issue for me.

My recommendation for people if you have 2 different models switch 1 of the models to local mode only if you want your full speed back. (at least thats what my further testing proves to me)

• 23.  RE: All APs limited to 90Mbps

Posted 09-23-2020 11:33 AM
    I only have the one 24 port 1930.

I was able to reproduce it on the session with support last night.
    It only affected my android clients not windows. It possibly affects ios but I don't have any ios devices to test with.