Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Just APs or more roles?

Posted 07-11-2019 11:12 PM
    Hello, Are the Instant On lines basically just APs, or do they serve more typical router roles as well (router, NAT, DHCP, maybe firewall, etc.)? Wondering how they might compare to Google Wifi, Eero, and similar products. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Employee
    Posted 07-12-2019 10:19 AM

@chrislund The Instant On portfolio are business-grade Wi-Fi Access Points that have Smart Mesh technology, DHCP, NAT, and basic firewall.

• 3.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Posted 07-12-2019 11:15 AM

Great, thanks. It appears all APs only have one Ethernet port, so if one wanted to use the APs as a router/firewall, all remaining APs must be wirelessly uplinked, then?

• 4.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Employee
    Posted 07-12-2019 11:32 AM

@chrislund We are not replacing the service providers routers, but providing a wireless solution for a network. 

• 5.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Posted 07-12-2019 12:35 PM

Got it. I'm thinking for very lite sites, where they want routing (NAT)/firewalling, wireless, and nothing else. On the consumer side, Google Wifis and such fill that role. *Can* Instant On, that is, is it just not recommended? Or must an outboard router be provided? Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Employee
    Posted 07-12-2019 02:06 PM

@chrislund  The consumer side with Google wifi and others they are offering a WAN and LAN port. Instant On only provides a single LAN port and would require a router for WAN support.

• 7.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Posted 07-23-2019 05:58 PM

Regarding DHCP server I do not think it is built in. Check this one: https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Instant-On-Wireless/DHCP-Server/td-p/196

Or I didn't get it right? Can someone from HP makes that clear?

Thanks and regards

• 8.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Employee
    Posted 07-23-2019 06:09 PM

@GrdiRuda You are correct DHCP server is not built-in to Instant ON AP's.

• 9.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Posted 08-28-2019 10:00 PM

it is now builtin as of release 1.2

• 10.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Posted 08-29-2019 04:47 AM
    What do you mean?

• 11.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Employee
    Posted 09-09-2019 06:39 PM

With release 1.2, you can have the AP provide DHCP and NAT function for both employee and guest networks. Previous software releases provided DHCP/NAT for Guest network only. With 1.2 software, you have the ability to select bridge or NAT mode for employee network. 

Please also note that we are constantly working to enhance the solution. Existing and future customers are going to get access to enhanced features and capabilities as part of future software updates. Stay tuned for future updates to the solution.

• 12.  RE: Just APs or more roles?

Posted 08-28-2019 09:57 PM

@GThiesen  with the basic firewall, can I do port forwarding?