Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  AP22 Client selecting weaker device

Posted 01-03-2021 11:16 PM
      |   view attached

This is a new set-up of 2 AP22s for a MESH network. The secondary device is 40-50 feet from the primary device. The suspect client is another 20-30 feet on from the secondary device. Other clients (same client types) in physical proximity to the secondary AP connect with no issues. However the suspect client, the client further away seems to connect to the primary AP with a weak signal.

What options do I have to force the client to the stronger signal, which should be basic AP functionality?

------------------------------
    John
    Canada
    Home Network

• 2.  RE: AP22 Client selecting weaker device

Posted 02-05-2021 12:22 AM
    I have the exact same issue with multiple clients.
    I've restarted the clients several times to see if after a reboot it chooses a closer AP, but it regresses to the one it had previously chosen.

My setup is Gateway->Aruba Switch->4 AP22 over Ethernet.

I'm also interested in a solution to this.

F L

• 3.  RE: AP22 Client selecting weaker device

Posted 02-05-2021 07:12 AM
    After running this configuration for the past month, I'd reframe my issue as more of an observation. Meaning I've seen no issues with the connections to those clients on the outer reaches of my network.

My expectation would be that those clients connect to the closest AP. However after the 2.2.1 update this week those clients connected to the primary AP which is much further away. Likely because it was the first AP back online.

For my own piece of mind I cycled off and on the one client I'm most worried about. Sure enough it connected to the closer AP.

I'll speculate that in this MESH setup, traffic is managed between the APs. If they are working while connected to the weaker signal, who am I to impose my expectations on them. I'll continue to monitor the clients to see if there are any connectivity issues arising from a weaker AP.

John