Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  New user, AP22 Question - backhaul

Posted 12-16-2020 10:08 AM
    Looking to replace my Linksys Velop (bridge mode) with wifi 6 and the AP22 looks like a good fit.  I could not find specific information so here I am.

The company video setup seems very easy, however it only shows a physical network connection on one and rest are wireless.  Can you only wire one and the rest wireless?  Or can each or any combination be wired?

My setup:  gig cable modem to a SonicWall firewall/router then to a 16 port switch.

In my house I'd like to install three AP22s into a mesh, one on each floor.  The basement would be wired to the switch.  The first floor would be wired to the switch.   The one on the second floor would be wireless.

Is this doable?  Or can only one be wired?

Also, I'd like to be able to flood the large backyard with wifi.  I currently have one of my Velop's outside in the shed, wired.  (Yes, I ran buried power and Cat 6 to my shed, doesn't' everybody).  The specs for the AP22 say 32 degrees F......so if it's always on what happens when the temp drops to say 20?  Is this really a show stopper?  If so, which other aruba outside device would integrate into my mesh wifi?  (looking to keep it all wifi 6)

------------------------------
    larry

• 2.  RE: New user, AP22 Question - backhaul

Posted 12-16-2020 05:01 PM

Yes, you can mesh the AP22. Specs are clear on that.

There is no Wi-Fi6 outdoor accesspoint available atm.

I can't solid advice you on putting a AP22 in a shed, but would think it works. 

Jaap Vaak

• 3.  RE: New user, AP22 Question - backhaul

Posted 12-17-2020 06:37 AM

Thanks.  But, in my situation if I install 4 AP22s, can three of them be physically wired to the switch, and one not wired?

Everything I've seen so far only shows the first one wired and the rest wireless for backhaul.  My concern is that they only talk to each other wirelessly.

larry schwenk

• 4.  RE: New user, AP22 Question - backhaul
    Best Answer

Employee
    Posted 12-17-2020 10:36 AM

Hi Larry, you can certainly have many APs wired on the same switch.   The only limitation, which is inherent to the technology, is to avoid multiple hops over the air when meshing APs.  When installing an AP over mesh, it is good practice to make sure it will be able to establish a good link with an AP that is wired.

One more thing to keep in mind:  you didn't say if you were using VLANs on your switch.  I am guessing not, but if you are then you need to make sure your APs are all connected to the same management VLAN.

Stephane

• 5.  RE: New user, AP22 Question - backhaul

Posted 12-17-2020 12:37 PM

Thanks.  And no VLANs as this is for my house.  And with 3 of the 4 APs wired to the same switch, that eliminates multiple hops.

larry schwenk