Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  AP11D pass thru jumper?

Posted 12-01-2021 11:11 AM

Couldn't find the answer in the install guide so the jumper on the back passes the bottom E0/PT to the back PT which in turn jumps to the back E0 which means that's the real EO port right?

now if you wall mount it, disconnect the jumper and plug in POE Cat6 into the backs E0 I would assume port 1-3 on the bottom are still active switch ports but its still easy to think otherwise.  Again the documentation isn't clear and I've been curious.  

Now when they design the new WiFi6 AP11D can they ship a blank to insert in that unused bottom port when its fed from behind.  Actually it would be nice to have something to cover the entire bottom to cuz if you wall mount it high enough and its not intended to connect local hosts we don't want to look up into those ports.

now in regard to all the other APs you guys really need flush mount sleeves for all AP or just a better designed AP so that a sleeve isn't needed in the first place and the sleeve for the AP22 sucks, poor design, I sent ideas in another post but there's a lot of thing that could be done to make mounting easier and better looking.  

• 2.  RE: AP11D pass thru jumper?

Posted 12-11-2021 02:52 AM
    The AP11D isn't really designed for high wall mounting. Especially as you get an upskirt view of 4 Ethernet ports. A little cover for that would be nice in such circumstances.
    It's really designed for a desktop scenario. 

According to the manual, it appears that the bottom port is a passive connection to the back PT one, and the jumper connects it to the real E0 on the back.

I totally agree about the other AP mounting brackets. Specifically the AP22 ones, the flush mounting ones are... shoddy.
    I would be really quite happy if the regular one was more like a pie-dish and covered and concealed the uplink port. That and if the flyer included some sort of stencil, "holes here, lan port there."

------------------------------
    Still can't change my name from FL17!

• 3.  RE: AP11D pass thru jumper?

Posted 12-16-2021 01:04 PM
    Kind of an odd request, no? Please create an extra part so I can use the product in a way it wasn't really designed for is what you're asking. 
    I get it - we've mounted a few on wall units up higher too, but that's likely the exception, not the rule, no? Not sure where you are located and if your J-boxes are mounted up high, but typically a J-box is located about 12" from the floor or about the same above a counter-top.

I don't think Ruckus, Ubiquiti or aruba's other lines have covers for In/On-wall APs (at least, I've never seen one). Why not flip it upside down? :)

Ethan

• 4.  RE: AP11D pass thru jumper?

Posted 12-16-2021 01:51 PM

Asking a company to improve their products and their install flexibility isn't an odd request.  The other products you mention have APs designed for mounting on boxes with out the ports exposed or visible when you do.  Maybe not every product but most but the AP11D is the only product that Aruba IO offers that mounts to any style box.  All should be capable of mounting to a round ceiling or a 1 gang device box but they're not which IMHO is a really stupid design flaw.  Since the AP11D is the only AP AIO makes intended for wall mounting it would be nice if they made is useable at a height that's better for RF wave propagation.  Now I do a lot of high end homes and no one wants to look at open ports on the bottom of the device and turning up side down means the ports will fill with dust and bugs and the logo would be upside down.  Sure it wouldn't bother most people but some of my clients are very particular and I'm particular and pick products basedon their visual appearance as well as their performance.  Normally I wouldn't even use the AP11D but sometimes on upgrades its just quick and easy to mount directly to an existing box.  I'm used to pre-wiring most of the jobs I work on and it would be nice if Aruba had products that would work in your typical new construction project.  IMHO it's a major oversight in this product line.  It's like they think all jobs are existing businesses just doing an upgrade and appearances don't matter.  

when I complained about the other APs lack of suitable mounting options Aruba eventually came out with the AP22 but had a sleeve to address my complaint.  Not a great engineering achievement but at least it was an attempt to satisfy residential needs.