Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Aruba Instant On AP17 Connection Problem / Confusion

Posted 09-03-2021 12:37 PM
    Recently I added 4 AP22 to our work network and the experience was quick, easy and flawless. So much so that I decided to replace the cheap access points we have at our campground with the AP17 (for outdoor use). The AP17 experience has not been quick, easy or flawless. The area is  outdoors and the connections are ethernet connections right on the pole inside an enclosed box.

I plugged the AP17 directly to the ethernet on the pole and it went through its update (I think) because it flashed green for a while, flashed red and then after a minute or two later flashed green and amber. The first thing I did was go to the Aruba App and chose to setup a new site. The first part oft process is to choose a type (I chose them all at one point or another), which for me was Access Point and then how it will be connected. I chose connected to the modem because there is so DHCP server or network I am working from. Next I looked for the device and was not able to find it though the automatic search or by entering it manually. After a while with no success I tried every configuration I could but still was not able to ever find the device.

I read on another thread where someone had a similar problem as mine and they were told to add an additional account for the different site. So I did that but the results were exactly the same. The device is not discoverable in the InstantOn App. 

One more bit of information (that makes me think I am misunderstanding how the AP17 is supposed to be used) is that I took it to my work location to test it there. I wanted to see if I  got different results there where a network was in place and one that I know works with other InstantOn AP's. The results were exactly the same until I tried to add it to my existing work site (already 4 AP22 devices there) . When I did that it was found instantly on the App.

So, Is what I am trying to do even possible? By that I mean provide WiFi from the pole without having a DHCP server or cable modem to manage it? And if it is possible what am I doing wrong?

------------------------------
    Buck Hicks

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant On AP17 Connection Problem / Confusion

Employee
    Posted 09-06-2021 05:25 AM

Hello Buck, 
                 Yes, what you are trying to do should be possible but there are a few questions here.
    Is the Ethernet switch on the pole the same L2 network as the site where you have the 4 AP22 connected? From the looks of it, it is not.

If this is another L2 segment, someone needs to provide AP17 with an IP address so that it can reach out the Cloud portal.

Can you tell us more about the network on the Ethernet switch on the pole?

Dhanasekar Panneerselvam