Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Apple devices connect to further AP then close AP

Posted 12-21-2021 12:20 AM
    Hi Everyone,

i have 2 questions, how does it come that my AP15 sometimes shows: It is operating at maximum (14 dBm) power.
    But my other AP12 is operating at 30dBm power... How is this possible?

Second and last question is, my macbook and iphone are connecting to the AP12 when i'm standing next to the AP15 on the next floor...

Any idea how this is possible?

thx!!!

------------------------------
    Jore Van Eetvelde

• 2.  RE: Apple devices connect to further AP then close AP

Posted 12-22-2021 02:21 PM
    Hi Jore,

It's likely that the power settings are set as a "range" and not a static power level. You need to combine both "dots" together at maximum power if that's what you want. 
    Power set to a range
    Static Power Level

Client devices choose which AP to associate with based on their own algorithms - it's likely that the increased power level of the further AP allows better modulation (a higher quality link) and so they roam there. The other issue is that although a "mobile" device, laptops are notorious for holding onto a lesser quality signal, even when a better option is present. The solution to the latter?... toggle your WiFi off, then back on, forcing the laptop to re-assess the available BSSIDs.

Ethan

• 3.  RE: Apple devices connect to further AP then close AP

Employee
    Posted 03-01-2022 01:16 PM
    I have a similar issue with my two AP11D routers.  When I am streaming something on my iphone and move to different parts of the house, the device does not switch to the router with the strong signal.  I do what you suggested, stop the stream, toggle WIFI on the device, and normally this is ok, until I move again.

Anything else that can be done, it is not the user experience I was hoping for.

Thank you,
    David

David