Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Differences between AP´s

Posted 02-01-2021 11:30 AM
    A novice here, asking stupid questions here.
    Sorry if these sound too easy for more experienced ones.

I am planning of upgrading and modernizing our 4-5 year old WiFi network, in a big 4 floor house.
    About 150-200 m2/ floor.

Already asked about using switch etc on another part of this forum.

The Aruba planner gives me advice to use either AP11, AP12 or AP 15 to build up pur WiFi.
    No problem here, and ready to purchase them. 
    The idea would be to cover each floor with one AP.
    My problem is not the amount of users, even AP11 is enough for our use.
    Have a handful of users on each floor at most.

But is there anything else worth knowing when buying the AP´s ? 
    Is the Ap15 always better that AP12 or AP11 ? As Ap11 are cheap, are they then not as good as the bigger models ?
    Is coverage/signal always better in AP12 and AP15, than in AP11 ?
    And if (as an example) I would buy AP11´s, AP12´s or AP15´s for each floor, are they then too close to each other and thus creating problems for me ?
    The planner proposed AP11 to each floor. Just a bit worried if I would be better of with Ap12´s , or even AP15´s.

Any knowledge, tips and links appreciated !
    Or should I go for like 2 AP15 only, and mounting them centrally ?

------------------------------
    Eki912

• 2.  RE: Differences between AP´s

Posted 02-01-2021 08:26 PM
    I too would like to know the answer to this. Although in my case, the house is only 3 1/2 floors, about 140m^2 per floor and "H" shaped reinforced concrete.
    I was looking at 2 or 3 AP22 per floor and something for the roof.  (Cost is not a problem for this client.)

F

• 3.  RE: Differences between AP´s

Posted 02-16-2021 10:17 AM
    Aruba's Instant On AP15 provides very robust performance for indoor locations with groups of 75 or so Wi-Fi users with high intensity networking needs. Device densities of up to 100 simultaneous devices at a time are supported.

The AP15 is an 802.11ac Wave 2 access point, with 4x4 radio and antenna stream support. This is the highest performing AP today in the Aruba Instant On portfolio. The AP15 can also be wall- or ceiling-mounted. The wall-mount bracket is slightly bigger than those of the AP11 and AP12 to accommodate cabling. The AP15 can also be powered using PoE or an optional A/C power adapter.

Emma Mertz

• 4.  RE: Differences between AP´s

Posted 03-04-2021 01:14 PM
    A stand-alone wireless AP is a physical appliance that adds Wi-Fi capability to an existing wired network by bridging traffic from a group of wireless workstations onto an adjacent, wired LAN. Conceptually, an AP is like an Ethernet hub, but instead of relaying LAN frames only to other 802.3 stations, an AP relays 802.11 frames to all other 802.11 or 802.3 stations in the same subnet.

Marshall Daugherty

• 5.  RE: Differences between AP´s

Posted 03-16-2021 02:34 PM
    Aruba has a deployment guide here.... https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/Aruba_Instant_On_Deployment_Guide.pdf

In it, they tell you the square footage they will cover as an AP (2,500f^2 or 760m^2), which I would cut in half (1,250f^2 or 380m^2) due to walls/floors/EMI noise.

So for Eki912, I would go with one on centered on the 2nd floor and the 4th floor. FL17, I would do one on the 3rd and first floors, and try to put them in a centered location. If these are going to be meshed, then they will have to be placed no more then 60 feet or 18 meters max, so it would be one on every floor more then likely.

My self, I was looking for this info as well and came across this thread. I am looking to replace an older MikroTik WAP AC AP and I am looking at the AP22 to replace it. The house is small with 2 floors and a basement and I need to only cover 816f^2 or 248m^2 of space per 1st and 2nd floor. So I will only need one AP centered on the second floor like the one I have now.

Phillip Attardi