Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  How to set Aruba AP11D to a Router

Posted 12-21-2021 12:20 AM
    Hello!
    I have 3 Aruba instant On AP11 which function is to provide wi-fi in my office. 
    I am also using Mikrotik router/switch to get internet from my ISP.

I do like the concept of Aruba and that is why I bought in addition Aruban AP11D. I would like to use it as a Router instead of Mikrotik.
    I was able to turned it on and connected (via mobile application) to my current LAN and it started to work as a regular AP.

How can I turned it to a Router? 
    Cannot find this option neither in Mobile APP neither in WEB browser UI.

Thank you in advance for you help!

• 2.  RE: How to set Aruba AP11D to a Router

Employee
    Posted 12-22-2021 01:41 PM

Hey Ruslans,

Please refer to the link, which will help explain how to connect AP11D to work in router mode. https://www.arubainstanton.com/techdocs/en/content/get-started/ap-conf-mode.htm

After connecting the AP directly to the ISP modem (since this is the first device on the network), create a new site - enter the serial number, network name, etc., and onboard the device to the portal.  By doing so, your AP11D will act in router mode.

------------------------------
    Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: How to set Aruba AP11D to a Router

Posted 12-22-2021 07:21 PM
    Thank you!
    I have already read these links a liter bit later and switching off other AP11 devices partly helped. As the result I was able to connect it as a router for the sub-network using DHCP IP form my current local network. Still, was unable to connect it directly to my ISP which provides me with static IP (no DHCP service).

It looks like 11D can't go to green/amber mode if no DHCP is available for it.

The second question is the following. If I can connect my AP11D to my current local network using DHCP, there is no option to change the IP address to static one. This option is grayscaled in the menu of 11D. Where/how can I switch it manually to a static IP?

How can I access the WEB UI?

• 4.  RE: How to set Aruba AP11D to a Router

Posted 01-01-2022 06:52 AM
    Thanks everyone for answer! I do understand that Aruba is a very easy router. But it does fit for my office needs' configuration perfectly!
    I just need to make it work as it has to work according to the manuals.

Can someone please help me to switch this radio button to Static? Why it is grayscalled? 

Thank you all once again!

• 5.  RE: How to set Aruba AP11D to a Router

Posted 12-22-2021 02:33 PM
    Hey ruslans,

The "router" function of the AP11D is incredibly basic - meant for those remote deployments where a router may not be available or it makes more sense to have that separation. It's a really great option to have. That said, I wouldn't drop your mikrotik (or any other functioning, dedicated router) in favour of an AP11D. 

That's not a knock on the device, it's just not intended to have anywhere near the functionality and configuration that a proper router has.
    Just my opinion. :)

Ethan

• 6.  RE: How to set Aruba AP11D to a Router

Posted 12-22-2021 07:14 PM
    Thank you for your help!
    Unfortunately, current Mikrotic has to go, it is out-date speed limit of 100Mbits.
    To be honest I am tied of Mikrotic interface. I would not spent budget on such solution as Cisco or Juniper for the current network, but I thought that solution from Aruba (which is HP) will be just great. And I would like to have as less device in the Intranet as possible. I also really like the idea of remote monitoring via Mobile phone.

• 7.  RE: How to set Aruba AP11D to a Router

Posted 12-26-2021 07:00 AM
    The AP11D, while it can pretend to be a router, is extremely basic and would be useless here where IPoE is the new king of the hill.
    (PPPoE is going away in favour of IPoE with MAP-E and the likes.)
    I would suggest you stick with the Mikrotik, or upgrade that to a newer faster model. I am not sure you need a cisco for home, they are expensive and unfriendly and the less said about the low end Junipers, the better.  Perhaps your ISP can advise you?

I doubt the Yamaha RTX830 is available there but as routers go, it is pretty full featured up to about 950 Mbit/s

Still can't change my name from FL17!