Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  InstantOn portal AP options just for cosmetics???

Posted 08-12-2021 08:04 AM
    Hi 

As the title implies I found a weird behavior of the portal gui and the APs options. When you select an AP and go to the radios tab, if you tick the option:use specific configurations for this radio, you are given the opportunity to change with the slider the transmit power from max to low and  some dots between.  Whatever option I choose for the AP max or low it states below the 5GHz Radio (also 2.4GHz) that the AP is working at maximum power and doesn't change the dbm according to the slider.
    Is it useable this slider or just for the effect? 

PS1 I tested a laptop  (nothing else connects to the AP at the moment) exactly below the AP and many more tests with 10 meters distance until I loose the signal, and had same results in connectivity  waves indicator of the laptop whether I had it set up as low or max...so again....is it working or not?

PS2 They ve set lowest transmit power as 18dbm??? It is already high for small places. Lowest value for a Ubiquiti AC lite is 8dbm. Compare now 8 to 18 for low range specially when in dbm, each scale above increases geometrically and not arithmetically.

PS3 Ok probably got it . You have to make the 2 dots το be visible as one. Then you set to a specific point and not from lowest to max. Thing is the lowest spot is considerd to be medium transmit power from the AP . So how to lower it more to be the minimum ?????
    If 15dbm is the lowest (very bad you need to lower it more) then you have to change the sentence <<<it is operating at lowest >>> and not at medium which gives the impression that you can lower it even more.

------------------------------
    Jim tsoutsouras

• 2.  RE: InstantOn portal AP options just for cosmetics???

Posted 08-12-2021 11:07 AM
    Looks like your figured it out - great! It took me a couple minutes to figure that out too. It's cool that you can set a "range" of TX power with the slider, but I'd find it more intuitive to just set the point where I want it with one simple click.

Ethan