Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Devices don't maintain their given name in Clients Overview when changing SSIDs

Posted 05-03-2021 09:30 AM
    Hi,

I noticed that Devices that I give a specific Name in the Client Overview don't maintain their name that I gave them when they connect to another SSID.
    In this case when they connect to another SSID they revert back to the original or no name which was discovered before giving them a specific Name.

If I switch back to a SSID in which I already gave them a specific name they will show with this Name again.
    So to keep track of these devices we would have to that the name for every SSID they will connect too.

Is this intended?

I my opinion it would be better to maintain the Name in the Clients Overview for a client even if it connects to another SSID.

Update:

I just discovered that this might be related to new Features in iPhones or Android Phones to generate a random MAC for each Wifi Network.
    So I may not be related to Aruba Instant On.

If the phone changes MAC-Adresses Aruba Instant On can't see that this is the same phone. Never mind. :)

Bjoern

------------------------------
    Bjoern Ebner
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Devices don't maintain their given name in Clients Overview when changing SSIDs
    Best Answer

Posted 05-03-2021 12:52 PM
    Hello,

You are correct this is due to the new MAC randomization that is enable by default on iOS 14 and Android 11. Each time the device connect to a new SSID a new random MAC is chosen but, if you don't delete the SSID, it's stay the same afterward.

See post below that's explain the mechanism :
    So, What's the Big Deal about MAC Randomization? - Part 1 | CommScope

Kind regards
    Christian Chautems