Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Multiple sites under the same ISP connection

Posted 09-10-2021 12:45 PM
    Hi, I have question, I wonder if it's possible to have multiple Instant ON sites (for different tenants in the same building) if I use different local VLANs for, say, AP11s, with a router (maybe an AP11D in router mode) connected to a 400 Mbps dedicated Internet service.

I have an AP11D and a couple of AP11s and, so far, it has worked.

Does anyone knows if there's a limit of how many wired VLANs can be created in an AP11D in router mode?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• 2.  RE: Multiple sites under the same ISP connection

Posted 09-11-2021 12:16 PM

Hi SupermarineXQ,

You can have multiple sites in the same building, but keep in mind, in order to adopt Instant On equipment you'll need to be on that same local subnet / VLAN. After they're adopted you can make changes remotely. 

You'll have to use a dedicated router for this, not an AP. You'll need to create VLANs and use a switch or multiple switches to distribute your feeds outward. 

Remember, VLANs help to keep each service / collision domain separate, but VLANs alone aren't really secure. 

How many individual tenants are you looking to serve? 

------------------------------
    Ethan

• 3.  RE: Multiple sites under the same ISP connection

Posted 09-11-2021 02:45 PM
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

That's what I intend to do, to use AP11Ds as routers inside the IT room and distribute the wired VLANs through switches. Each AP11D would serve around 20 tenants (1 VLAN per tenant), and each tenant would have a single AP11 for their wireless service.

It's a pity that AP11Ds cannot limit the wired ports' data rate like their Instant counterpart the AP303H.

Regards.

• 4.  RE: Multiple sites under the same ISP connection

Posted 09-11-2021 11:29 PM

Uh, umm, wait…..noooooooo. 

You can't place a bunch of AP11Ds in a room and use them to break out individual subnets. 

Again, you'll need a router capable of creating each subnet/VLAN. Then assign only that subnet to an individual port, and that port gets connected to an individual tenant. Or, if you're okay with having multiple tenants sharing the same VLAN, then a gang of those ports with the same VLAN, up to the tenants that will form this cohort. 

Either way, the 11Ds are not designed to do what you're asking on this scale. You'll need a microtik or Ubiquiti router or if it were me, a PFsense appliance (or better). These will also be able to shape or rate-limit traffic as you'd like. 

Ethan

• 5.  RE: Multiple sites under the same ISP connection

Posted 09-11-2021 11:56 PM
    Technically, it's possible to create many wired VLAN under an AP11D if you create a site to use the AP in router mode:

You can even have those VLAN as tagged or untagged in any given port from E1 to E3:

I even placed an AP11 and it was PoE fed by the AP11, had it's WAN port take an IP address from VLAN 101, had an SSID for the same VLAN 101, and configured another SSID for tagged VLAN 102, no problem with that.

I, however, don't know maximum traffic handling capabilites for an AP11D in router mode. In this scenario it would "only" have 16 clients (I created 16 VLANs), one in each VLAN, and the task of handling the "real" client devices PAT translations and DHCP assignations would be processed by the AP11s, not the AP11D.

Of course, this AP11D would be a very, very basic router, but it certainly can do subnetting.

Regards,

• 6.  RE: Multiple sites under the same ISP connection

Posted 09-12-2021 12:02 AM
    Many things are possible, but that doesn't make it right! 🤣

Go forth and try it out… and best wishes!

Ethan