Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Roku Connectivity

Posted 01-18-2022 01:30 PM
    Having issues with multiple Roku's staying connected to AP15's. Originally had Roku's on a combined private network with both 2.4 and 5 bandwidths then moved to private network with just 5Ghz and optimized for streaming. They will connect then drop off. Reset wireless and connect again then sometimes will stay on and sometimes drop off. Any thoughts?

Have a MetroNet router for DHCP and the switch is a 1930 8G PoE 2SFP 124W. Total combined clients on the network at max was 7. I also have a Clover card machine that shows connected and transmitting data but the client says it isnt transmitting information. We've rebooted the network and all devices but nothing seems to work. 

This is my first time using the Instant On platform. Any suggestions? 

------------------------------
    Steve

• 2.  RE: Roku Connectivity

Posted 01-19-2022 02:48 PM
    Since it now just the 5 ghz band how is the distances to AP?  TV's might be partially blocking the RF so the closer the better.  Why not just make the both bands again?  Typical HD streaming for 1080P is only 5 mbps while 4k is 15-32mbps but most things streamed from the cloud is heavily compressed and likely the lower rate.  How many TV clients are connected per AP?  The more APs the better, the closer to high data users the better.  AP15 are 4x4 mimo if I recall so each should handle at least 4 clients easily, anything over then they start having to share the radios.

• 3.  RE: Roku Connectivity

Posted 01-20-2022 05:53 PM
    TV's wouldnt be blocking the signal as it is direct line of sight from the AP. The Roku's kept trying to go directly to the 5Ghz and that is all that is on those AP's. 3 Roku's are being utilized and the AP15 is designed for up to 100 clients per the documentation. So I cant see that being an issue unless that is misleading. Max distance from AP to Roku is 15feet.

Stephen Renfro

• 4.  RE: Roku Connectivity

Posted 01-21-2022 01:31 AM
    I think it is time to look in your roku's logs for clues.
    You won't find anything in the Aruba Instanton logs because: NO SUCH ANIMAL.

For 5GHz, the most likely cause of interference is neighbours on the same channel, then DFS (rain radar). but at 5m away with line of sight, I doubt it is these.
    Unless explicitly told otherwise, the AIO's will pick an empty channel.
    One thing you might want to try is simple step-by-step debugging. Only change one thing at once.
    See if they lose it at the same time, doing the same thing, even at a particular time of day. You are looking for patterns. Since you have 3, it should be easier.

e.g. turn off the optimisation for streaming, see how it goes. 

If you have a phone, try one of those wifi analyser applications to see how bad your neighbourhood is.
    Tyically 2.4GHz sucks unless your nearest neighbour is an elk three hills to the left.

Still can't change my name from FL17!

• 5.  RE: Roku Connectivity

Posted 01-21-2022 11:21 AM

Was it working properly in the dual band setup and then didn't in the new 5.0 only or it never worked properly in either?  Does a single TV have issues when others are off or only when multiple TVs are on?

Based on info you provided it's not range so shouldn't be a band range issue.  Probably not inference unless you're in a condo or apartment complex with the 5.0's shorter effective range and dampening through exterior walls.  I have video optimizing enabled on some systems with AP22's, my own has 5 APs and 6 or 7 rokus and no issues but on systems with AP15s I never enabled it and those we just smart tv built in apps so on Sammy's and Sony's not roku.  

Does your phone, tablet or laptop also lose connectivity?  If so does it lose it if no TVs are streaming or does it just drop when video streams?  Is it just losing WAN connection and LAN devices can still ping each other or do you lose both.  If you have wired devices do they still work and see the internet or just local net or both?

There was an issue posted with video dropping that I think they believe was 1930-8G related so maybe try a different POE switch, try turning off video optimization as suggested previously, 

Personally I've never had any issues with AIO devices that I've notice or been made aware of and think they're pretty solid, don't recall what was the outcome of that post I mentioned but it to was about streaming video, might look for it, think they're were AP22s with a 1930-8G.