Instant On - Wireless

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

• 1.  Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-22-2021 09:45 AM
    Hi, yes this is the same issue reported in another thread here:

https://community.arubainstanton.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=ff9f9c66-8b84-4553-8e54-15a8b60a6687&CommunityKey=4736ee52-dc5c-4a73-b8cf-0a44640d7ff7&tab=digestviewer#bmff9f9c66-8b84-4553-8e54-15a8b60a6687

But it seems that has devolved w/ no feedback from Aruba, so here's a thread with a more accurate subject maybe it'll get some attention?

I'm getting the same symptoms as the other couple of users.  I have an Nvidia Shield that will stream fine for X amount of time then lose connectivity for Y amount of time.  The times do vary, but it's usually after a good 30 minutes of streaming 1080p or 4k content.  As mentioned in the subject the AP22 is connected to an 8 port 1930 switch.

The AP is handling 18-20 clients, and it's only been noticeable streaming longer content.

------------------------------
    Robert Logan

• 2.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-22-2021 01:15 PM
    Have you repeated the scenario with a different switch (non 1930) and if so did the problem disappear and then return when the 1930 reinstalled?  Just asking cuz Aruba probably won't.

I just did a house with 9 AP22's and I really wanted to use a 1930 switch but because of this issue and Aruba's seemingly lack of attention I went with an Aruba 1820-48G POE+.  Next job might be Ubiquiti or maybe I'll go back to Cisco.  Actually maybe I'll try Zyxel their APs are cloud managed, controller or standalone, their routers and switches seem pretty decent too.  Their APs look like they mount better to and no need for that poorly conceived flush mount adapter that really sucks.

• 3.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-25-2021 10:49 PM
    Yes I have found not passing the AP22s through the switch resolves those issues with the periodic drops to the gateway, which ultimately breaks your internet connectivity. Have the AP22s never pass traffic through a 1930 and they work great.

My drops tend to happen after streaming for around 30 minutes also. The drop lasts for anywhere from 5-60 seconds then it's fine again. The internet and other connectivity is completely fine during these frequent and brief outages. In testing, I have found from a device exhibiting these drops, that they won't be able to ping the local gateway during this outage, but they can ping other local hosts ( I haven't tried pinging the AP they are associated with but it sounds like that will also fail during the event). Since they can't ping their own local gateway, all internet traffic drops. That condition lasts for that 5-60 seconds, then it's good for probably another 20-30 minutes before it happens again.

I've also noticed if you have all the gear rebooted, it will tend to last longer before it breaks. I've seen it go for 3-4 hours before acting up again.

For whatever reason, a Windows PC attached to the switch never has any issues and can ping for days without a drop. Apple devices tend to show it more, although most of my devices are now Apple so that could be skewing my results. Tomorrow I am pulling the 1930 completely out to see if the problems I have with the Apple TVs also resolve. I am pretty sure they are related. For instance, an Apple TV, wired to the switch, can stream from a local Plex server all day long without a single hiccup. But streaming over the internet (over 1G synchronous fiber that has proven to be very fast and reliable) from anything, Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon, YT, YT TV, any of those will also give me a pause and spinning circles for maybe 30 seconds every hour or so. So that fits with what I've been seeing from Macbooks where they still have local connectivity, but can't get to the gateway. 

Time to take out the 1930 and verify my hypothesis.

• 4.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-27-2021 01:19 PM
    I can confirm that removing the 1930 switch entirely from my network has resolved every single network issue I have seen, including Apple TV streaming. Not one hiccup since. I removed the switch yesterday morning, and everything has been perfect since. Aruba is sending me a replacement 1930 switch to try, but I really think it's firmware and not the switch, since it used to work fine and problems started after firmware updates. Not to mention others having the same issue which points to faulty firmware, again since it worked in the past. I can't say for certain the cause on the switch, I can only say that the 1930 switch is 100% the culprit and removing it fixes it all.

• 5.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-28-2021 04:56 AM
    Oh, that is bad news. I just bought a pile of those for a house because they are cheap and cheerful and I need 8 of them (because 24 port one is TOO BIG to fit! and no 16 port toy.) At least if it is firmware then it should be fixable, but updates appear few and far between, with of course, glorious changelogs worthy of sony "improved stability and fixed bugs."

For testing, not having a 1930, I have been using an ancient Panasonic MNO series PoE and it has been rock solid despite certain members of the house streaming netflix to the TV while others are watching amazon prime on the tablets etc.

But now I am worried that $customer is going to have the same problem as you and you know who will get the blame.

Still can't change my name from FL17!

• 6.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-28-2021 10:20 AM

Gentlemen, read post on other thread…. I solved the issue at my location last night. 

regards. 

Jeff

====
    Jeff

• 7.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-29-2021 01:09 PM
    I have no issues with IPv6 enabled, using other switches. I also have no intention on disabling IPv6. If that is truly required to make things work with a 1930 switch, I'll just sell the switch. I def appreciate the info, but disabling IPv6 is not a compromise I'm willing to make.

• 8.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-30-2021 11:44 AM
    Network security protections turns on acl's that break ipv6. It works fine when you turn on most features from the local ui, but not from the cloud.

• 9.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-30-2021 12:17 PM
    Where is this network security protection setting?

• 10.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-30-2021 12:22 PM
    In the networks section. Go to the wired network > Network Security tab> then uncheck network security protections.
    This is not on by default so you may have it off. But it needs to be turned off on every lan you want working.
    I know in the older firmware versions once you turned it on you had to do a factory reset and never turn it onn to keep ipv6 working. I believe they fixed that since 2.2 since I've been able to turn it on and off to test.

• 11.  RE: Client streaming off a 1930 8 port connected AP22 connectivity issues

Posted 10-30-2021 01:49 PM
    Thanks, didn't think of looking on the wired tab.  It was indeed off.  Not something I would ever think of checking since my LANs are residential so I wouldn't ever see a need to protect from arp or dhcp attacks.