Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 10-06-2020 06:33 PM

I'm coming from a Cisco and Meraki world for corporate, and UniFi for my Home Lab and use. I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the configurations for VLANs on the 1930 switches.

Specifically, I'm trying to sort out how I set a what Cisco/Meraki calls a Trunk port - an uplink to another switch. As I see it, I set each VLAN as tagged on the port I'm using as the uplink. Ports that are access ports are untagged and assigned the appropriate VLAN. (Cisco would call this an access port). What's puzzling is the VLAN Interface Configuration Tile; what is the ingress filtering? Should it be left to default?

• 2.  RE: Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 10-07-2020 01:59 AM

I haven't used the 1930 much locally but if it's like the rest of procurve line I deal with this quite often.

Aruba Trunk = Cisco LAGG but I see in the cloud control of the switch they call it a LAGG so might be like the rest of their line when local.
    Cisco Trunk = Aruba TagAll (or tag minus vlans if you consider the trunk remove command)
    Cisco Access Port is exactly as you described a port with only the one vlan untagged.
    From another procurve document.

"Ingress Filtering Enabled – If enabled, incoming frames for VLANs
    which do not include this ingress port in their member set will be
    discarded. (Default: Disabled)"

• 3.  RE: Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 10-09-2020 10:18 AM

@Donatom3 Thanks. It looks like there isn't a way to "Tag all" on a port with the 1930s. You have to go through each VLAN and add it manually to the port. That's a UI change I'd love to see done. Each VLAN has to be managed "separately", it appears. You can't check a series of VLANs and tag them to a port.

Uplink/Trunked port: tag all VLANs, management VLAN is untagged

Access port: assigned VLAN untagged.

• 4.  RE: Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 10-10-2020 02:25 AM

@Lancenichols When it's cloud managed the default behavior for a port is tag all with the primary vlan aka vlan 1 untagged.

In Cloud managed you really only have two options. All vlans tagged with 1 untagged, all vlans tagged including vlan 1, or single vlan untagged.

• 5.  RE: Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 10-12-2020 12:01 PM

@Donatom3 got it, I was looking at the local management interface. I've not used Procurve/HP switches for almost 20 years. Hoping I can get the hang of this again, and maybe even see a CLI get introduced to the series in the future. Sometimes looking at the CLI output gets things "sorted" in my head. Picked these up to play with/replace an UniFi 48 POE because I wanted them for the four SPF+ ports to run 10G to my R730.

I'll start with the two 8 ports and play with them on the cloud then move to the local config on the 24 - working on L3 routing for that.

• 6.  RE: Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 10-13-2020 01:03 AM
    @Lancenichols
    At work I install and maintain a lot of the procurve line. They're great switches
    I'm really surprised at how many features of a 2530 you get in the 1930 line especially at the price.

Before the 1930 came out I was looking for a 2530 sfp+ model (2930 if I could have made the price work) to get for my home network. I wanted to try out this line because for smaller businesses and even some mid size ones I see the appeal of cloud controlled switching and access points.
    If Aruba can bring all the features of the locally managed switch to the cloud I will start pushing these for more of our customers at work.

• 7.  RE: Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 11-01-2020 11:11 AM
    I made this unwelcome discovery today. I have ten VLANs to assign to my "trunk" ports--aggregated ports. Cisco's SG switches make that the work of a moment, even on the GUI, but this interface is quite primitive (not to mention completely undocumented). I am told that there's a CLI that I can break into, so I'm off to find that out.

------------------------------
    John Smith

• 8.  RE: Wrapping my head around HPE terminology

Posted 02-08-2021 01:07 PM
    The configuration of this switch is very laborious. To make it easier, I save a backup and edit the file with notepad or sublime text, then upload the backup back to the switch (of course, if the switch is in production you have to do it in a maintenance window). it is ideal, but it was the only way I found to optimize my time since the switch doesn't even provide SSH to be able to do this job.

Torfresma trf