Instant On - Wired

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Loud one speed fan

• 1.  Loud one speed fan

Posted 07-17-2020 01:29 PM

Just installed the 24 port POE version (JL683A ). The fan seems to run at full speed without variation. Much louder then the Netgear Smart POE switch it replaced. However, the Data Sheet says...

“Energy-efficient cooling
    Includes variable speed fans operating only at the speed necessary to maintain operating temperature to reduce excess noise and power consumption.”

https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/DS_AIO_1930SwitchSeries.pdf

Will this be addressed in a future update?

• 2.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Employee
    Posted 07-20-2020 11:29 AM

@FukuokaKid Thank you for the feedback and we will make sure this is passed to product management for review.

• 3.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 07-30-2020 06:26 PM

• 4.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 07-30-2020 06:28 PM
    And what is their reaction??

• 5.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 09-23-2020 08:30 AM

Hello,

I also received and installed this Aruba Instant On 1930 48G 370W (JL686A) switch a week ago.

Unfortunately I should have read these comments before...

I am also concerned about the fan making too much noise. It is very annoying.

I don't think I will keep it if no official software/hardware solution is brought in quickly.

I'm disappointed because this switch suited me perfectly.

Can we have a quick feedback please?

Thx

• 6.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 10-08-2020 08:46 PM

JL683A updated to FW to the latest,1.0.2.0_125.  No change to the fan speeds.  What's more there are no release notes posted for this version.  

https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Instant-On-Software/Instant-On-1930-Switching-Software-Portal/ta-p/1992

Guess it's going back in storage for now.

• 7.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Employee
    Posted 10-09-2020 11:08 AM

• 8.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 07-22-2020 12:33 PM

Mine was also loud and not slowing down, exact same model, latest firmware.

• 9.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 07-26-2020 09:53 AM
    Have also a much to loud fan noise. Have the 48poe model. I cannot slow the ventilation down. Fast firmware/software update required. This is too much noise.

• 10.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 07-27-2020 08:02 AM
    There's a reddit thread about this and OP posted a video of what he did to fix it. I think pwm isn't implemented correctly and that's what's causing the fan to spin at one speed only.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/hpm4c2/aruba_instant_on_1930_switches_fan_mod_thought_i/
    https://youtu.be/8kRCV3ukQ2s

• 11.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 08-07-2020 11:29 AM

Mine does the exact same thing on.  It's annoying because it's incredibly loud.

• 12.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 08-20-2020 07:31 AM

Hello,

I ordered this switch for me and myself and for me the fan was also too loud.

I disassembled the switch and the part number on this fan shows that it is build for 4000 - 10000 rpm. So it's loudness reaches from very very loud to very super mega loud!

The Fan IS speed controlled!

next to the fan connector there is an PTC or NTC (blue, very small part) when you touch it (and warm it up with thefinger) the fan speed increases.

Because the fan does not change the rpm during boot (as it do on old, solid HPE Switches) I am sure the control circuit is a dedicated and analog circuit and the os of this switch can not control the fan speed rpm.

The connector's pinout is compatible with any mainboard / intel fan (4 pin PWM).

For test purposes I Connected an genuine intel CPU fan and it also runs normally.

So, I decided to build my own upper case with a 12cm x 12cm hole on the top right with an arctic cooling 12x12 4 pin PWM fan. It is blowing there inside the switch and the air flow is coming out on the left side through 2 holes.

This fan runs at approx 1000rpm and generates much more airflow than the small 4x4cm fan at much more rpm does.

only thing is, the air flow goes into the other direction. Normally the airflow is from left to right, the fan blows the air out of the switch and the NTC / PTC next to the fan can see how much heat is produced by the switch and can control the fan speed.

now the NTC / PTC is only measuring the intake air and can  not react on the switch load.

Also the problem at the moment is, the Tacho signal is so low due the low fan speed, that the switch interprets the fan as defective and displays an error (red blinking light and fan error in the logs)...

When I pull out the PIN 4 (PWM control for the fan) the fan accelerates to its maximum speed (1800rpm) and the switch goes back to normal state. But at this moment the 1800rpm are totally overdosed with this 12cm fan and you can hear it and see in its power consumption.

Now I am planning to rebuild my own case, set the fan to the left top, so the airflow is as normal and the PTC / NTC measures the outtake temperature and I am planning to build (or buy) an small frequency generator (NE555) to simulate a solid and higher fan speed to the Switch to let the switch be in normal state.

Hope this helps anyone

thx

Dirk

• 13.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 08-26-2020 08:09 PM

Yeah so this 24 port 195W 1930 switch is ridiculously LOUD!!! This is flat out the loudest switch I have ever heard. Not to mention it's odd that the 370w is rated as being quieter?!? I have this in my garage, and I can hear it clear as day in the laundry room with the door closed. I don't know how I could even sell this to a client who doesn't have an extremely isolated system room, and this is marketed to SMBs, who often don't have such luxuries.

I don't know Aruba, I don't see how I can sell your PoE switches. I can get past it for me in the garage, but Jesus, it starts LOUD and stays LOUD. Poor cooling design decisions here. And I really don't want to mod it for fear of losing warranty. I certainly wouldn't mod it for clients. How did anyone think this was a good idea to put out something that sounds like a vacuum cleaner? I won't sell them.

• 14.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 12-12-2020 07:49 PM
    Does anyone have som more information regarding the fan noise ? Is Arubu working on a better fan algoritm in the firmware or is the fan simply not software/firmware controlled ?

------------------------------
    Bjornar Saternes

• 15.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 12-12-2020 07:48 PM
    I have purchased 1930 24G PoE +370W JL684A and it is very loud as well. I wonder if anything is planned with new firmware releases to fix this bug.

Wojciech Barcicki

• 16.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Employee
    Posted 01-12-2021 09:52 AM
    Is this still a thing? I intentionally bought the 8-port for home use over the 24-port due to the reports of intense fan noise 24 hours a day on the bigger switch.

I would definitely change my order if this were fixed.

Andrew Leber

• 17.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 01-12-2021 02:37 PM
    Yup.  Still an issue as of the latest firmware, v1.0.2.0_125.  My POE devices draw less than 30w combined and it still sounds like a hairdryer on high all day.  The noise get annoying real fast and I have since switched back to my older Netgear switch.  It's been almost 6 months since I started this thread and it does not seem that Aruba is listening.

• 18.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 01-15-2021 02:05 AM
    Newest firmware is 1.0.3.0. Pretty sure you have to be cloud managed to get it still.
    The file or changelog were never added and it's been close to a month now.

• 19.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 01-15-2021 05:26 PM
    I can provide the 1.0.3.0 firmware to others via a factory defaulted 'backup image'. Message me if you want it.
    The only reason my switch got it was I set it up on the AIO portal before migrating it to 'local management'.

Sorry to say though the fan is loud with this fw as well.

F L

• 20.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 01-20-2021 11:49 AM
    What a joke! They ship devices with an undocumented firmware release...

Eva Garrett

• 21.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 04-17-2021 01:18 PM
    Is there any official solution for the loud fan?

Often those switches are within an office where it could be a problem it is too loud.

Bjoern Ebner

• 22.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 05-12-2021 10:50 AM
    This fan is still unacceptably loud under firmware version 1.0.4.

I have mine (24 port POE) in a well-ventilated laundry room on the second floor of my house. The casing is cold to the touch, the temperature near the intake fan is 79.8 degrees F, the exhaust air is 81.3 degrees F, and I can hear the fan whine in every room on that floor. I'm only drawing 19W of PoE, though it was also this loud when it was sitting by itself on a glass shelf in a cold room with only the power cable plugged in.

The user likening the fan noise to a hairdryer is 100% accurate.

I would not recommend this switch to any consumer or small business (without a soundproofed networking closet) for this reason, and it's a shame as aside from the fan noise, it's been a fantastic appliance and otherwise ticks off every box on my checklist of desired features.

• 23.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Employee
    Posted 07-26-2021 12:34 PM
    This is still on-going? I want to be able to purchase this, but if the firmware is being neglected then I'm not going to have a jet engine in my closet.

Andrew Leber

• 24.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 07-26-2021 03:14 PM
    Yes, the issue is still ongoing as of version 1.0.5.

-

• 25.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 09-01-2021 02:04 PM
    Painfull painfullness.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 26.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 08-25-2021 02:44 AM
    Short Question to all. Is the 8-Port 1930 PoE better in that aspect? is it more quite?

I have exact the same issue, a 24 Port 1930 PoE in a small telco rack which is sitting in the hallway (Cant change the position because cabeling predone) and it is so loud you hear it echoing in the whole house. I'm shortly before replacing it with a other brand 24 PoE or thought about adding a 24 non PoE and add a 8 Port 1930 PoE just for the Access Points and CCTV.

So is a 8 Port 1930 poe much quiter?

Thanks

• 27.  RE: Loud one speed fan

Posted 09-01-2021 04:14 PM
    The 8-Port 1930 PoE has no fan. So it's absolutly quite. ;-)

King regards,
    Thomas

Thomas