Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  Clients behind unmanaged switch not showing IP address in portal

Posted 08-23-2020 09:39 PM

I just provisioned a new home network with a Netgate SG-5100 router running pfsense, a 1930 8 port PoE switch, several AP11Ds and an AP12. 

Connected to the 1930 switch I have an unmanaged Netgear GS316 switch serving my media room and several IoT hubs. None of the seven clients on this switch are showing up normally in the Instant On portal

• For six clients, their IP addresses are blank, even though the router's DHCP server has served them with IP addresses. They seem to be working normally; just their IP address doesn't appear on the portal.
    • For one client, an LG smart TV, there is no entry at all in the portal, even though it is connected in the same way as the other six, has been served with an IP address, and is working normally.

Is this a known issue? I have other clients behind a different unmanaged switch which are showing up normally.

• 2.  RE: Clients behind unmanaged switch not showing IP address in portal

Posted 08-29-2020 10:06 PM

Hi Also have this problem.

My devices are all allocated to VLANS.

The strange thing is that my Meraki dashboard does report the IP address corrrectly: I have a few Meraki switches and a few AP's on the same home network.

The Aruba switch is connected to a trunk port on a Meraki switch. I have three Meraki AP/s also connected to the Aruba Instant on switch and all those devices show an IP address for themselves and (connected clients) in the Meraki dashboard. 

This issue is preventing me rolling out Aruba Instant-On to my SMB clients.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light onthis issue.2020-08-30_14-04-40.png

• 3.  RE: Clients behind unmanaged switch not showing IP address in portal

Employee
    Posted 08-30-2020 04:37 PM

@NewNetwork @kiwiiwik  Please reach out to support to assist in troubleshooting your IP issues on your network.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/ 

• 4.  RE: Clients behind unmanaged switch not showing IP address in portal

Posted 09-12-2020 03:11 PM

Did you call support about this. I see the same thing on my freshly installed one.
    These switches in local management definitely have the data in ARP.
    So far unimpresed with the switches when they're cloud managed.

• 5.  RE: Clients behind unmanaged switch not showing IP address in portal

Employee
    Posted 10-08-2020 05:22 PM

@Donatom3 @NewNetwork @kiwiiwik The product team is aware of the issue of the missing IP address and is working on the fix.

• 6.  RE: Clients behind unmanaged switch not showing IP address in portal

Posted 10-08-2020 05:48 PM

@Donatom3  Yes, I logged a call and the chap I spoke to was helpful, but in the end my network was too complex for him to really get to grips with: 8 switches Meraki Netgear and a single Aruba Instanton. He wanted me to draw a diagram in MS Paint as a diagnostic tool Smiley Happy

I tend to agree with your opinion - I had hoped that Aruba would be a replacement for Meraki - right now they are miles away in functionality and need to do a lot of catching up.

A fairer comparison would be Ubiquiti - Aruba Instant-on has a similar price - maybe a little more expensive. However if you have sufficient technical expertise to set up a Unifi dashboard in the cloud - the functionality is closer to Meraki.

So after jumping ship from Ubiquiti - I may be going back. Yesterday I waiting for about 30 minutes for a AP11D to be adopted to a new site - thats just too long..

As to your point of local management - to me that defeats the point of Instant-on. I could get the same or better functionality from a Netgera managed switch at half the price.

Lets keep hoping!