Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  can the 1930 switch do stack?

Posted 06-10-2020 06:03 AM

Hello Everyone

Excuse me, can the 1930 switch do stack?

The 1920s switch has a stackable feature.

I want to know if this feature is also available on 1930 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: can the 1930 switch do stack?

Employee
    Posted 06-10-2020 12:05 PM

@lostdaint  The 1930 Switch does not support stacking.

• 3.  RE: can the 1930 switch do stack?

Posted 06-28-2021 04:57 PM
    ....so if you have 2 switches how you connect them together to act as one?   Is there  a h/w part missing or is just lack of software implementation 

New edit. For stack to play the switch needs to have a special stack module with 2 ports so 1930 indeed doesnt support stack. What about connecting 2 switched with a 10G port. Still they wont be able to act as one, but somehow you spread the traaffic to a second switch when the first is full,    STP feature though can block that port. Do I need to disable STP in order for an uplink port to work?
       As about spanning tree still eludes me of what it does.... 

------------------------------
    Jim tsoutsouras

• 4.  RE: can the 1930 switch do stack?

Posted 06-29-2021 02:48 PM
    I don't think there is a need to ask the same question more than once on this forum. Below is the answer I gave you on the other thread:

========

OK, first of all, you do not always need a stacking module to stack switches (back-plane stacking).

Stacking can also be done "virtually". When you stack the switches virtually, you will use at least two interfaces on each switch to connect them together; this group of interfaces is called a Link Aggregation (Lagg). Depending on hardware, you can use different types of virtual stacking: VSF (Virtual Switching Fabric) and VSX (Virtual Switching Extension).

When two or more switches are stacked they are logically seen as one, they will share only one management IP address, and the ports will be identified as Eth1/1, Eth1/2 ... Eth1/48 for the first stack member and Eth2/1, Eth2/2 ... Eth2/48 for the second stack member, and so on. In other words, you managed the switches the same way as you would manage one switch only.

There are no other ways to stack Aruba switches (Instant ON, ArubaOS, or ArubaOS-CX).

STP, or Spanning Tree Protocol, is a protocol which prevents loops in the network topology. When you virtually stack switches, they will be connected to each other using more than one cable and it may seem there is a loop, so you think: "oh, I need STP to prevent loops", but that is not true - as soon as the Link Aggregations groups are configured, the protocol used is LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol) which makes that "loops" not being "loops" so STP is not needed.

Again, STP has nothing to do with stacking switches, nor with facilitating a way to treat more switches as one.

To summarise, there is no way you can stack, nor treat more switches as one in Aruba Instant On "world". At least, not yet.

Valentin Voica

• 5.  RE: can the 1930 switch do stack?

Posted 07-01-2021 06:16 AM
    No need but when did so , you didnt have the conversation on the other post. Also this forum is like speedy Gonzale's cousin....slowplo.
    Few members and zero answers. Probably you think otherwise but that is why opinions exist.

Nice to point your answer here as well.

Jim tsoutsouras

• 6.  RE: can the 1930 switch do stack?

Posted 07-13-2020 02:02 AM

Hi,

1920s doesnt support stacking either

• 7.  RE: can the 1930 switch do stack?

Posted 07-02-2021 07:52 AM
    no man it doesnt