Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  Falling out of love with with HPE/Aruba network switches

Posted 02-01-2021 11:28 AM
    Yes, I start falling out of love with your hardware. And normally this is something that does not happen easily,

I have been a very satisfied user of HPE's 1810 and 1820 switches for years. You could easily get new firmwares using the "My networking" portal on HPE's homepage. Just cut&paste the model number into the search field there and you were good to go.

So when I needed a new switch with PoE support I decided to look around and found the 1930. I was hesitant at first after reading the cloud stuff but after I noticed that you can switch to local management I ordered one. Currently I must say that in hindsight that this was a mistake.

The thing has some bugs that should be pretty obvious to see.

1) The NTP client is not runnig and does updates of the system time by itself very now and then. There's only a NTP request once you hit the apply button. Afterwards the "Last Update Time" and the "Last Attempt Time" always remain on the time and date you clicked on apply.

2) The unit frequently reports POE errors on ports with nothing plugged in. Yes, there's not even a cable plugged into the port reporting an error.

My switch came with 1.0.1.0. So after some searching where I can get firmware updates I finally found this page here. Downloading a new firmware from some kind of blog? Feels kind of strange. But anyway I found something newer. Downloaded the version 1.0.2.0, installed it and the bugs mentioned above are still there.

Now there's some discssion here that some switched came with a version 1.0.3.0 installed by the factory and when the firmware is available here for download. And the support simply plays dead.

The whole thing simply looks like a bad joke by now.

------------------------------
    Whisky Drinker

• 2.  RE: Falling out of love with with HPE/Aruba network switches

Posted 02-01-2021 12:02 PM
    I definitely think that HPE could allocate a few more resources to this product segment and see a good return on investment, but they're the businessmen and I am not. It is a competitive marketplace in this range.

EDIT: Originally this comment contained incorrect, and rudely phrased, criticism of the product and the forum. It has been edited to correct that.

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-29-2021 04:56 AM
    Subject: Falling out of love with with HPE/Aruba network switches

Yes, I start falling out of love with your hardware. And normally this is something that does not happen easily,

I have been a very satisfied user of HPE's 1810 and 1820 switches for years. You could easily get new firmwares using the "My networking" portal on HPE's homepage. Just cut&paste the model number into the search field there and you were good to go.

So when I needed a new switch with PoE support I decided to look around and found the 1930. I was hesitant at first after reading the cloud stuff but after I noticed that you can switch to local management I ordered one. Currently I must say that in hindsight that this was a mistake.

The thing has some bugs that should be pretty obvious to see.

1) The NTP client is not runnig and does updates of the system time by itself very now and then. There's only a NTP request once you hit the apply button. Afterwards the "Last Update Time" and the "Last Attempt Time" always remain on the time and date you clicked on apply.

2) The unit frequently reports POE errors on ports with nothing plugged in. Yes, there's not even a cable plugged into the port reporting an error.

My switch came with 1.0.1.0. So after some searching where I can get firmware updates I finally found this page here. Downloading a new firmware from some kind of blog? Feels kind of strange. But anyway I found something newer. Downloaded the version 1.0.2.0, installed it and the bugs mentioned above are still there.

Now there's some discssion here that some switched came with a version 1.0.3.0 installed by the factory and when the firmware is available here for download. And the support simply plays dead.

The whole thing simply looks like a bad joke by now.

Whisky Drinker

• 3.  RE: Falling out of love with with HPE/Aruba network switches

Posted 02-02-2021 02:40 PM
    The strange thing is that the developers in the background still seem to be the same people that have developed my older switches from HPE that I really liked. The versioning in the firmware names, the general look and feel of the update notes still screams HPE small office switches.

The build quality of the hardware, apart from the loud fan, also feels right. It's simply the strange support that does not feel right.

With a quiter fan concept and a support like any other HPE switch my 1930 would probably be the switch I'd also recommend to all of my friends looking for a switch for their home.

The way it is right now leaves me kind of puzzled.

Whisky Drinker