Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Posted 03-08-2021 08:05 PM
    We have a JL682A we recently installed.
    We're using J4858D for the transceiver, and connecting to a known-good fiber run.

When plugging in the transceiver, the switch recognizes it, one of the LEDs lights up green for 2-3 seconds, then the LED turns off.
    The web interface shows that the transceiver is detected, then says the link is down.  The link is enabled, and I've set it to auto negotiate for speed.  I actually don't have any other option for the speed setting, but before I set it to auto negotiate it was showing 10 Gbps (even though our link should only get us 1 Gbps).

We're moving from an old Dell switch with a Dell transceiver - 0GF76J.  This transceiver obviously doesn't work in the Aruba, but it does work in the Dell.
    In fact, we can run the fiber to the Dell, then run Ethernet from the Dell to the Aruba and everything works.  Obviously, we need the fiber and SFP transceiver to work in the Aruba.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be?  We're running the latest firmware (1.0.4.0_133) on the Aruba, and it's otherwise brand new (we received it a while back but just recently tried to physically install it.

Thanks

------------------------------
    BMS

• 2.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Posted 03-10-2021 07:14 PM
    I had the same problem with an FS.com transceiver that was compatible in a loopback but wouldn't negotiate over a known-good link. The logs revealed nothing useful. My query resulted in a "3rd party optics not supported" reply. Otherwise I'm fine with this switch for the price, but for me that's a dealbreaker. First and last Aruba switch for me.

• 3.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Employee
    Posted 03-11-2021 11:31 AM
    We identify unsupported transceivers (SX, LH, etc…) by flashing the port LED and syslog message but don't block or disable the port.

• 4.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Posted 03-11-2021 08:45 PM
    That's actually really good to know. It means I can attribute the failure to the 3rd-party hardware, which helps me pick my optics vendor on the next round. So, thank you GThiesen.

• 5.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Posted 03-12-2021 02:43 PM
    Right now we're thinking the issue may simply be due to compatibility between the existing fiber or the media converter on the other end.
    We may end up running new fiber, and if we do we'd likely move to 10 Gbps optics.

Could you tell me whether the J9151D or the J9151E is the preferred transceiver?  One is listed in the product manual, and one is listed on the data/sales sheet.
    Is there any practical difference between the two?  Both are described as "Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LR 10km SMF Transceiver".

Thanks

BMS

• 6.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Employee
    Posted 03-12-2021 03:32 PM
    The J9151E is the preferred transceiver, as you can see the J9151D is EOS.  I will make sure to have the tech team update the documents to reflect using the "E".

End-of-Sale of Revision D Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LR 10km SMF XCVR

Published January 31, 2019
    End-of-Sale Milestones
    End-of-Sale Announcement: Jan 31, 2018
    End-of-Sale Date: June 30, 2019 (or while supplies last)

• 7.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Posted 08-05-2021 11:45 AM
    Hi, I have a 1930 24G Switch and a 3rd party SFP+ DAC Cable.
    I connected it to another (non Aruba) Switch and the connection is up and working. The 1930 shows it as 10G. (I couldn't test more than 1G - but that works)

My question is: The status LED on the switch keeps blinking red / orange. Is this just an indicator that the Transceiver / DAC Cable is a 3rd party one or what causes it to behave like that? And can I stop it?

Fabian Schmidt

• 8.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)
    Best Answer

Posted 04-15-2021 08:03 PM
    As an update, we did get a new fiber run in place and today we installed and a new, 3rd party 10 Gbps SFP+ (SM LR) transceiver.
    I can confirm that the Aruba does not block this transceiver, and everything seems to be working as expected.  We went with a 3rd party transceiver because our NOC had one on hand.

My guess is the old fiber pair or the transceiver on the other end were the issue, even though they worked with the old switch.

BMS

• 9.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Posted 08-05-2021 03:27 PM
    The following work on the Aruba 1930-24 and don't generate any error logs.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 10.  RE: SFP / SFP+ / Transceiver Issue on Instant On 1930 24 G (JL682A)

Posted 08-08-2021 02:10 PM
    I have 4 of these running across two 1930's (8p and 24p). No errors. They also work in the HPE 1910s and 1920s as well. WIN!

"Don't fix what ain't broken" ~Me

Lance Aughey