Instant On - Wired

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

• 1.  1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-15-2021 04:22 PM
    Hi folks,
    I have a simple question the documentation couldn't answer: How do I allow all VLANs on a port?

Other vendors / models have a way of doing this, like
    • using a directive like permit vlan all
    • using PVID 4095
    • using a "general" mode for the port
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a solution for a locally managed Aruba 1930.

Thanks in advance,
    Dom

------------------------------
    Dominik Gauss

• 2.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-15-2021 06:08 PM
    Unfortunately this is not possible in the way you describe. You will have to select each VLAN in the VLAN memberships menu and assign to the port 1 at a time. I believe if you are using cloud management there is a tick box to check the VLANS on that port which is quicker but still no way of assigning all VLANs to a port in 1 click that I know off.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 3.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-15-2021 06:12 PM
    Just found this from another user on this forum, probably the only solution currently.

I haven't found a way to do this on the web interface. 

If the amount of VLANs justify the workaround I'd
    • download the config
    • manually edit it 
    • and upload it again
    A port config sample for my 1930 looks like this:
    interface 20
     switchport general allowed vlan add 10-16 tagged 
     switchport general allowed vlan add 17 untagged 
     switchport general pvid 17 
    !
    Cheers, Dom

Dominik Gauss

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 4.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-16-2021 01:04 AM
    Thanks for quoting myself, but this solution doesn't work for my needs.
    Allowing all VLANs also allows VLANs the switch isn't necessarily aware of.

Dominik Gauss

• 5.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-16-2021 07:00 PM
    Terrrible

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 6.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Employee
    Posted 07-19-2021 01:01 PM
    Hi folks,

We recognize the shortcoming and have an update planned to allow assigning ports/trunks to a range of VLANs.

Thanks,
    Ben

Ben E Seligson

• 7.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-19-2021 02:12 PM
    Ben,

What's more alarming is that Aruba are probably if not the biggest name in SMB/Enterprise and you are making basic mistakes missing out "essential" options for everyday use on this line of switches. It' seems that from general opinion on social media and this forum that there isn't a lot of talk that is positive about this switch and for good reason. I don't know if Aruba even care but to continue to be competitive in this market you have to stop making these mistakes. The days of trusting that anything HPE release will be fine have gone which is a shame. Honestly with a brand as strong as HPE and ARUBA you should be all over the SMB and large homeowners radar with a product that has the firmware finished and thoroughly audited before release. On a positive finish it would be nice to see the 1930 come back with console port and CLI as your competitors, who I won't mention have these options at the same or cheaper price and are no longer years behind in the software or warranty department.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 8.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-20-2021 03:43 AM
    Thanks Ben, good to know.

But please also make it possible to strictly allow all VLANs so we can pass packets for VLANs the Aruba doesn't know.
    And if at all possible please give me a CLI - I've never been a friend of web GUIs and a CLI gives me automation capabilities which a web GUI does not.

Thanks,
    Dom

Dominik Gauss

• 9.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-20-2021 05:16 AM
    Dom,

Are you saying that when we configure a port for a Trunk as in CISCO Trunk a traditional port with all Vlans from switch to switch or switch to Server the Aruba doesn't see any of the tags? and will pass anything tagged or untagged?

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 10.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-20-2021 06:04 AM
    Terrence,

allowing all VLANs means exactly that: Allowing all tagged and untagged packet - whether or not the Aruba is aware of a specific VLAN ID.

Example: Aruba knows VLANs 1 to 10
    If we allow all VLANs on a port we would also allow packets for all other VLANs, i.e. VLAN 11 to 4095 (minus the last few internally used ones)
    What is connected to the actual port has to be VLAN aware, of course, otherwise this would be meaningless

Dom

Dominik Gauss

• 11.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-20-2021 06:21 AM
    Dom,

Apologies when I meant all Vlans I presumed in the set range e.g. 10-200. I now see what you are saying, as without tagging each vlan to the port there is no other way to quickly do this until they update firmware.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 12.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-20-2021 09:28 AM
    Ben, this is great news, because the lack of this single feature has really been a deal-breaker.

The very fact that you are reading and responding to the forum sentiment is encouraging.

• 13.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-20-2021 09:41 AM
    Ben,

Do we have dates for the release?
    Looking at your previous rollouts you only have 4 in 18 months.
    1 in the early to mid part of the year and 1 around September and the same the year after over the last 18 months.
    This is crucial to know before we deploy a whole network of these. I have limited time literally days before we have to make a decision and currently it looks like the unit we have will be going back to the vender and we will be moving to another brand completely which after studying the documentation first will do these basics tasks in there GUI.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 14.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 07-21-2021 09:41 PM
    The switches still offer very good value for the money. Everyone always clamors for ever more bang for the buck, I know, but these are competitive "value-line" switches just as they are. When they do add the firmware feature upgrade for the GUI functions, especially VLANs, I would strongly consider buying another one. But I wouldn't buy one based on estimates or reassurances in a community forum. Ubiquiti showed everyone how that works out.

I always consider that what I see is what I get. Take it or leave it. If I hav only days to make a decision, and a mission-critical configuration element is missing for my proposed use, then that is a foregone conclusion.

• 15.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 08-07-2021 05:38 PM
    Sorry, but your inference that "everyone always clamors..." is utter nonsense -- I'm not that guy nor are the many others who've gravitated (not by choice) from the 1910/1920 series. Outside of the "useless" cloud functionality, this 1930 is a step backwards in many more ways than one (IMHO). Now I regret all of the comments I've made about the 1910/1920 GUI being "old hat" and the more I experience, read, research, find, the more concerned I get about introducing these 1930s into a small business production environment.

Going along with this show (I.e., Hello reseller, I need some 1920s. What's that? I have to buy this white 1930 model? It's the next version in a long line of stable entry-level smart switches? Welp, OK...), I most certainly expected the same (or more as you put it) options, features, functions on the 1930, but it seems the hardware biz is following the software side. Maybe it's me, but anyone who's appreciated this push from from on-prem to cloud and perpetual to subscription clearly isn't the one paying (attention to) the bill. It's just another endless cash grab. All you gotta do is look back to days of ole when paper was out and plastic was in...yeah, look where that got everyone. SMH. Think it might be a good time to get out of IT and into the logging business. LOL.

Lance Aughey

• 16.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 08-08-2021 12:32 PM
    I didn't see a post from you in this thread, so I have no idea where your venom is coming from.

If you take a patently obvious characterization of human behavior in markets as "utter nonsense" then I can only say, you don't get out much.

The rest of the comment features some good irony, starting with "I'm not that guy" and moving on to complain that you're not getting as much for your money as you expect.

Well, in any case, if the shoe fits, wear it. I'm not happy with the switch either, but whining won't help. There's a Cadillac alternative four clicks away for 75% more dollars per port.

• 17.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 08-08-2021 01:46 PM
    You funny. If you think it's venom, you clearly don't get out much either. LOL. It's what us old-timers call sarcasm, look it up.

POINT: 1930 provides less feature/function than the 1910/1920 line. Plain and simple.

The lack of CLI is the reason why I commented...I was directed here by my pal TT56. :0)

As others have commented in this (and other posts), the lack of CLI isn't something the manufacturers simply forgot to include. No sir. Someone made the determination to overhaul the platform and exclude this as well as do their best to hide the fact that it's unavailable (I admit they did a wonderful job "hiding" its existence in previous series, but it was there). Make no mistake, I'm not crying conspiracy here...simply stating facts that there's an obvious disconnect between the manufacturer and its customer base. It's simple "business 101" and HPE/Aruba failed the mark (I.e., who is our customer?). As a result, those so accustomed to CLI within a "known" product line are now needing to perform repetitive steps (as one commenter put it) through a workaround (wow, that's one nifty idea, much appreciated).

In closing, if one doesn't "whine", it further perpetuates the underlying issue of the manufacturer not ever knowing their clientele. And that, when compared to whining, also doesn't help. I suppose I'll just slowly transition away from a platform I've used for 10+ years and go with a competitor -- one continuing to include such features within their "value" line offering -- without ever stating reasons why (it'll be my secret). Better yet, maybe I'll go spend more money on the upper level product line for something that used to exist in this one (yeah, this direction sure beats whining).

NOTE: This post was built using low-level sarcasm v1 (venom was unavailable at the time of creation).

Lance Aughey

• 18.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 08-08-2021 02:49 PM
    Glad to say My 1930s went back to the reseller and I have now gone full bore into TP-Link sg3428x with CLI (more or less cisco) over 1500 page manual; Console port and no messing with proprietary firmware in Transceivers and DAC cables. Running  Omada controller on ESXI VM and can look at  and log everything on any network. Absolutely brilliant.

If you would tell me 3 years ago that in 3 years time you will ditch all your HP and Cisco for TP-Link I would have laughed so hard I wold have been in Hospital.

Good luck with the development of Aruba and SMB but IMO and many others it seems the 1910-1920 series where the last of the proper SMB switches.

All the best, signing out.

PS. Embarrassing for marketing in HPE to have to go back to their team and tell people they've been dumped for TP-LINK!

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 19.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 08-09-2021 04:06 PM

Totally agree with all comments above, this 1930 series is a huge downgrade from the 1920 series.
    Trying to configuring things at scale locally using the local web interface is a nightmare, the lack of CLI makes this switch very unsuitable to be used in any small and medium deployments. So not sure how this is being advertised for SMB segments.

It's specially sad cause the hardware seems capable, however the overall strategy seems more focused in trying to lure potential customers with the sugary promise of a cloud switch, which I personally don't seen any value on it.

The lack of support and proper bug fixing is also rampant (just check the amount of threads raised about overly loud fans and led ports that randomly works that didn't receive a proper solution yet).

Glad that I sent it back to the reseller and choose another switch for my company deployment.  Won't fall for it again...

Wish all the best for everyone here and hope you can find a proper solution for problems.

John Ward

• 20.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 08-10-2021 04:45 PM
    You write like somebody I'd like to know. You are also quite correct, I reached into the aging brain, and where I should have found "bile," came up with "venom." It happens more often than I would like, these days.