Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  multiple 1930 switches forget the management IP number after power-off for >1 days?

Posted 06-04-2021 03:41 PM
    I have an installation using 3 1930 switches (and more coming in the near future) that is powered up for use full time for stretches of days or weeks, then powered fully down for short stretches of days or up to a week.  More than once now I've had ALL the 1930 switches forget the management IP number I've set after a period of power-down, and drop back to 192.160.0.1.  Other settings don't seem to be forgotten as I've found the switches largely still configured once I unplug them all and go thru them one at a time and log in...because of course all three switches coming on the network with a management IP of .0.1 means I can't connect to *any* of them until they're isolated in turn and reconfigured.

I've ensured that the units are NOT looking for a DHCP address from any server, and simply want them to remain set to listen for management connections on specific IP numbers, and I can't seem to get them to do that.

I see this issue discussed a time or two in the communities but haven't seen a solution mentioned, if there even is one.  All three switches are up to date on software as of about 2 months ago, but I've observed this problem since about late November 2020 when we started installing them.  None of the switches are more than 6 to 8 months old, meaning I don't think this is related to backup onboard batteries or anything like that. Most notably, the switches appear to remain as configured (except for the management IP), and continue functioning and serving network clients correctly.

Any pointers to more information or solutions welcomed.

------------------------------
    William McLachlan

• 2.  RE: multiple 1930 switches forget the management IP number after power-off for >1 days?

Posted 06-05-2021 03:35 PM
    Are you using the Aruba Instant On portal, or Local Management to manage the switches?

If you use the Aruba Instant On portal, I assume you set a static IP address in the Connectivity tab, similar to the below:

Valentin Voica

• 3.  RE: multiple 1930 switches forget the management IP number after power-off for >1 days?

Posted 06-08-2021 06:44 PM
    Absolutely positively locally managed - NO cloud portal or management.  This installation is only allowed WAN access for limited periods of time, and does it's critical work air-gapped from any other LANs or WANs.  There is one DHCP server on the network, but I've repeatedly made sure these switches are not looking for a DHCP server for their management IP number.

At my next opportunity which won't be for a few weeks, I'll be taking them all offline and bringing them back up one at a time to re-configure the management IP again (the installation is in it's air-gapped from the WAN state and in use at the moment until late next week), and will make sure firmware is up to date.  In the meantime, I'm hoping someone can give me more clues to what might be forcing them to all drop back to default management IP numbers.

William McLachlan

• 4.  RE: multiple 1930 switches forget the management IP number after power-off for >1 days?

Posted 06-09-2021 11:58 AM
    Hi William,

According to "Aruba Instant On 1930 Switch SeriesManagement and Configuration Guide" (see the excerpt below), the management IP address (not IP number) of the switches should not change withut user's input.

There is something else which troubles me: you stated that "[...] switches forget the management IP number I've set after a period of power-down, and drop back to 192.160.0.1.". First of all because IP addresses in the 192.160.0.0 /24 network are public, and, unless your business owns or rents the 192.160.0.1 it is impossible for it to be assigned as a management IP address inside your LAN. I can only assume that there is a typo and you wanted to put down 192.168.0.1.

Then, what about the gateway's IP addrtess? Does it defaults to .1 or .254. or anything else? What about the other switches? Are all of them defaulting to the 192.168.0.1 IP address?

Valentin Voica

• 5.  RE: multiple 1930 switches forget the management IP number after power-off for >1 days?

Posted 06-10-2021 03:36 PM
    Yes sorry .160 was a typo....it's .168.  I have to use 192.168.0.xxx for this particular LAN wether I like it or not.  Long story.

I'm aware that they *should not* revert to their default management IP after a power-down for a longer than a day period of time, but mine are doing it, and it's leaving me curious that they're picking up something happening on the LAN the live on that's convincing them that they *should* drop their IP back to default, or if I've found some kind of firmware issue.

I discovered this issue after deploying two switches late last year, and adding a third switch in the recent past month.  After I figured it out and reconfigured the original two switches as well as added the third, I bench tested a "configure-->save-->verify operation-->power down-->wait-->power up-->reconnect" cycle a few times, and the switches remembered their management IP as desired.

Then the facility was shut down for about 10 days, and we thought nothing of it assuming all would be well.  Then came the need to log in to one switch and configure something, and boom.....all three are "unreachable" again, meaning they're probably all back to 0.1, and I'll have to unplug all three, and bring one up at a time to re-configure.

Any other ideas, I'm all ears!

William McLachlan