Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  What is the power consumption of each Instant On 1930 switch?

Posted 08-05-2021 04:26 PM
    I understand that there are standard PoE-less models as well as models with PoE-power of 124W, 195W and 370W, but I would like to know the power consumption of the PSU inside of each switch.

I am sizing UPSes that will be providing power backup for servers and switches and I need to know how much power these switches require.  For servers, the spec of the PSU is easily available (e.g. 800W).  But for these Instant On switches, the information is nowhere to be found. 

Your help is appreciated!

------------------------------
    Waqqas Khokhar

• 2.  RE: What is the power consumption of each Instant On 1930 switch?

Posted 08-05-2021 06:22 PM
    1930 is 9w at the wall 240VAC idle
    1930 POE is around 18w 240VAC idle
    1930 8 port poe 7-8w 240VAC idle

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 3.  RE: What is the power consumption of each Instant On 1930 switch?

Posted 08-06-2021 09:22 AM
    Thanks, Terrence.  I should have mentioned that to size the UPS properly, I need to know the maximum power consumption of each switch.  But perhaps I can just assume idle + PoE max as the total max consumption...

Waqqas Khokhar

• 4.  RE: What is the power consumption of each Instant On 1930 switch?

Posted 08-07-2021 09:03 AM
    I think you will struggle to pull more than 20w on the 24 port and 28w on the 48 ports plus overhead for POE plus around 12% for inefficiency. Wouldn't worry too much unless you are smashing the hell out of static routing and a ACLS etc on all ports pushing 1Gig and 10gig respectively in which case you probably got the wrong switch for the job lol.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 5.  RE: What is the power consumption of each Instant On 1930 switch?

Posted 08-06-2021 08:00 PM
    Likely your answer is on the spec sheet for the switches in question.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/AAG_1930-Switches.pdf

It is important to note that if you use the printed figures, you will likely end up with a massively over specified UPS. Since those figures are the MAXIMUM and this is a somewhat naive way to select a UPS. What you will get for your money is significant run-time on battery.

Not that UPS makers will complain if you buy a 3000VA one when you only really need a 1500VA one.

Still can't change my name from FL17!