Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 01-12-2021 09:46 AM
    Hello community,
    I have set up a 'Aruba Instant On 1930 8G 2SFP Switch JL680A' switch, local configuration. Software version is 1.0.3.0.
    Now I have trouble installing SFP-Modules. Plugging in a J8177D (RJ45 front end) compatible Module the switch recognizes the Module.
    In the log appears the message: 9 SFP port is present, module type - 1000BASE-T.
    But whatever device or other switch I attach to this port it's not working. The Link Status remains down.
    Is someone using a working RJ45-module in this switch?

------------------------------
    F L88

• 2.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Employee
    Posted 01-12-2021 11:16 AM
    Make sure that you are using an Aruba authentic part and not a 3rd party SFP. You can reach out to support to assist in troubleshooting.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/

Greg Thiesen

• 3.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 01-14-2021 02:59 PM
    I notice that you got a reply suggesting that you use a ridiculously expensive Aruba optic. I have exactly the same problem mine: it (variably) won't negotiate over compatible optics with an assortment of other gear, including Cisco and TP-Link. I've troubleshot the optics using a loopback, and the port lights up, but negotiation doesn't happen--even though it obviously could happen if there weren't, presumably, a line of code blocking it.

Compatible optics work just fine in my Cisco gear, whatever the link. Also, in higher-grade Aruba gear, there is a command-line option to "allow compatible optics," but this 1900-level gear does not include it.

This is not acceptable.

I'm very glad that I bought just a single switch. Clearly the product line is not ready for market. It simply has too many problems to recommend, and I certainly won't be purchasing any more of them. The idea of putting a $2000 optic in a $200 switch, as G Thiesen suggests, is just ludicrous. For me, it's back to the Cisco SMB gear, and I'll be making this point on the IT forums I regularly hang out on.

This line was truly promising. It's being "market-segmented" into worthlessness, and will soon fade to black.

Bad call, Aruba.

• 4.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 01-14-2021 03:40 PM
    May be the next step is: This switch will work only with other Aruba devices at all.

F L

• 5.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 01-16-2021 10:36 AM
    That actually could be what is going on now. I don't have another switch to test it, and I'm not going to get one. The alternatives are rolling out now; I'll wait for some reviews and feedback before risking another mistake on crippled down-market gear. If needed I'll just buy used. The AION are significantly cheaper up front, but the optics will largely make up the difference (over 4 sfp+ ports), and configuration will be hella easier. Worth it to me.

• 6.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 01-16-2021 11:46 AM
    I meant it in the sense that in the near also the normal RJ45 ports will deal only with other aruba devices. The price for the 1930 8G is here about 100 $, the original J8177D are about 150 $. So for two SFP's one could get 3 switches. This looks like the bluff of the inkjet printer makers.

F L

• 7.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 01-16-2021 07:26 PM
    Yes. It's too bad. However, take note: if you try hard enough, you might find alternative optics that do work. It's hit or miss. But the optics thing has always been a cash cow for switch makers. It's only recently they are opening things up more. This is the gear you would really expect to be interoperable, though, if they cared the least bit about getting the line going in the market. I can pretty much guarantee it's going nowhere based on my experiences so far.

• 8.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 04-05-2021 10:38 AM
    Maybe this would help.  I have the 24port Aruba Instant-on switch and I am using Fiber Store RJ-45 10G SFP (FS SFP-10G-T 10G base-T SFP+ 30m)  connected to my PC which has an ASUS 10G card and it is working just fine.    The SFP does seem to run hot but no issues so far.  I would not buy Aruba SFP just to expensive, goto FS.com

Michael Ellis

• 9.  RE: 1930 8G 2SFP not working with SFP-RJ45 Module

Posted 04-07-2021 08:58 AM
    I'm having problems with FS optics in mine; some work, some don't. I wouldn't recommend putting in a big order without testing a sample first. The LX  1310 1G work fine so far, the MM 850s just flickered the LED for a second and then went dark--wouldn't negotiate a link.

Overall I find brand-name optics unaffordable, but there are consequential trade-offs.