Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  1930 - How to prevent loss of configuration during local firmware upgrade?

Posted 08-23-2021 10:01 AM
    Hi,

I've just started configuring my new switch, in local mode. I'd reset to factory defaults, set up a few VLANs, set a static management IP address, and changed the management VLAN. With that all working running firmware 1.0.3.0 (131.78206), I uploaded (via HTTP) firmware1.0.5.0_139. The only option was to upload to "backup image" which was confusing, but I went ahead. At the end of the upload the switch asked to reboot, I said fine. When the switch came back up, I found I'd lost connectivity. Then I discovered that the switch had reset itself to factory settings, all my previous configuration had been lost. As the switch is not yet in my network this is not the disaster it would be if it happened after installation.

My question is: Is it to be expected that 1930 resets to factory default settings on local firmware upgrade?

Thanks for your help,
    Frank

------------------------------
    Frank Myhr

• 2.  RE: 1930 - How to prevent loss of configuration during local firmware upgrade?

Posted 08-23-2021 10:24 AM
    This is a bit embarrassing, but my problem turned out to be that I didn't understand that even though configuration changes apply immediately, they are not saved until you click "Save" near the top right. It's actually a useful feature in case of a mistake: power-cycling or resetting the switch will revert to the last saved configuration.

Frank Myhr