Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 08:47 AM

Hey Aruba friends 👋

I've been struggling with what I feel like is a simple task, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to find a solution: how can I configure a new VLAN to communicate between my InstantOn switch and my router? I can send pings back and forth just fine over the management VLAN, but other VLANs either time out or are unreachable, regardless of which device the packets are coming from.

To ask a more concrete question: say I want to create VLAN 300 and hook up a security camera on that VLAN using port 2, and I have my switch connected to a router via a trunk on port 7. How can I configure things such that the security camera is reachable from my router? I'm happy to supply additional information necessary to help answer my question, and thanks so much for any help y'all can provide.

----

Here's a quick visual diagram, and an abbreviated rundown of my setup so far:

Switch (Aruba InstantOn 1930):
    - Set Up Network > Get Connected:
    --- Management Address Type: Static
    --- IP Address: 192.168.0.2/24
    --- Gateway Address: 192.168.0.1
    - Switching > Trunk Configuration
    --- TRK 1:
    ----- Static
    ----- Members: 7
    - VLAN > VLAN Configuration > VLAN Configuration:
    ---- VLAN 1 (Default)
    ---- VLAN 300 (Static)
    - VLAN > VLAN Configuration > VLAN Membership Configuration:
    --- VLAN ID: 300
    ----- Interface 2: included, untagged

(switch port 7 ↔️ router port eth4)

Router (EdgeRouter 6P):
    - eth4 (the interface itself):
    --- Address: 192.168.0.1/24
    ​​- eth4.300 (virtual interface for VLAN300):
    --- Address: 192.168.30.1/24
    - DHCP services:
    --- 192.168.30.0/24

------------------------------
    Matt Gawarecki

• 2.  RE: [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 12:22 PM
    Change your gateway for the switch to the same ip as your gateway of your router, 192.168.0.1
    Change your switch ip to 192.168.0.2/24

Add you VLAN 300 on the switch
    Tag the ports/interface that you want on the switch as VLAN 300 include - untagged

Log into your router and ping from the router to VLAN 300. Basically check your router is actually intervlan routing. I don't know much about the edge router, but check it has switch mode and bridge modes on across the ports, not sure which way it routes.

Change your management VLAN to VLAN ID 1 just until until you get your network up and running, then create a new VLAN on the switch and the router for your management, and make sure you assign a port on the switch for the new management VLAN so you don't lock yourself out of your switch GUI.

** Make sure you set your firewall rules up on your router so that you can access VLAN300 from VLAN 1 as I presume your PC is on VLAN 1

cheers

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 3.  RE: [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 12:26 PM
    Hi, just read your message again, TRUNK ports on this switch are for Link aggregation not TRUNK AS IN CISCO TRUNK. You don't need the trunk unless you are using LACP etc. If you want a TRUNK port as you think of it then just tag your port with all the VLANS you need on that port. You will need to tag them as "tagged".

If you are using the port just for a camera for example on VLAN300 then just untag the port for VLAN 300

Give your IP cam a static IP in the camera itself by login in to the GUI for the CAM, bad idea to use DHCP for security cams.

Cheers

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 4.  RE: [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 01:40 PM
    TRUNK ports on this switch are for Link aggregation not TRUNK AS IN CISCO TRUNK. You don't need the trunk unless you are using LACP etc. If you want a TRUNK port as you think of it then just tag your port with all the VLANS you need on that port. You will need to tag them as "tagged".

Wow, this absolutely did the trick! Thank you so much, @TT56. Out of curiosity, is this concept of "trunks are only link aggregators" documented anywhere I could reference? I'd like to improve my understanding of the InstantOn ecosystem, but I haven't found mention of this in the documentation, or maybe I missed it. My understanding was that most switch manufacturers use the term trunk to refer to up/down-links, as opposed to access ports that generally target end devices.

Matt Gawarecki

• 5.  RE: [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 03:35 PM
    Yeh so you can have up to 8 ports per trunk as I recall and then 8 Trunks depending on which swtich model. Its irrelevant as you wouldn't trunk all these ports anyway when you have 10gig ports for pretend stacking.

So you would configure a trunk and assigned the ports to the trunk, for example ports 1 and 2  to TRUNK 1. You would then assign the Trunk as STATIC or in most cases LACP then setup the same on your router end or other switch end. The LACP protocol will identify the Link aggregation trunk number on each switch to match and also list which ports on each switch that is connected to that LAG.

Now your on 10gig for small business or home just forget LAG and use 10 gig port straight to your router or the next switch in your network,
    The documentation is dog turd so asking on here will get you the real world version of what to do.
    cheers

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 6.  RE: [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 05:45 PM
    So then, to satisfy my curiosity: in this arrangement, is it possible to have two ports figured in LACP mode and have them handle tagged VLAN traffic?

Based on what you've explained so far, I assume the answer is no?

Matt Gawarecki

• 7.  RE: [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 07:09 PM
    Yes,

Just tag the TRUNK with whatever VLANS you want, but remember to tag them as "tagged" not "untagged"

Remember the trunk should only be connected to a device that can read the VLAN tags, eg a server, another switch or a router etc, not an IP camera.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 8.  RE: [InstantOn 1930] How can I configure a new VLAN to talk to my router?

Posted 09-09-2021 08:37 PM
    Documentation can be found here:
    https://community.arubainstanton.com/blogs/gregory-weaver1/2021/04/05/aruba-instant-on-1930-switch-series-management-and?CommunityKey=62c04b3a-92dd-475c-9554-6b5df6b63778

Ethan