Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  PF Sense and Aruba Instant On

Posted 04-09-2021 10:12 AM
    Hello, 

Does anyone have any experience using Aruba Instant on with PF Sense and was it a positive experience?  

By positive experience I mean did VLANS work well and were you able to assign different VLANS to different SSIDs per AP?

Any other pointers for this setup would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Jerome Toomey

• 2.  RE: PF Sense and Aruba Instant On

Posted 04-09-2021 05:37 PM
    Yes, I use this switch with both pfSense and opnSense and a pihole. It works great. 6 vlans, management, guest, home, semi-trusted, untrusted, servers. i manage the layer 3 routing at the firewall, not at the switch, because I don't need line speed between VLANs and the Senses make it very easy to administer. Just allocate your ports and put everything on a trunk (cisco talk) to the firewall. Don't "team" two ports to your pfSense--LAG should work, but it wasn't reliable on pfSense for some reason. If you need more bandwidth use a 10G connection.

• 3.  RE: PF Sense and Aruba Instant On

Posted 04-10-2021 06:33 AM
    Thank you very much for your reply that is most helpful. I know this may be the wrong discussion section but are you using that for wireless as well and is that working? 

Thank you.

Jerome Toomey

• 4.  RE: PF Sense and Aruba Instant On

Posted 04-10-2021 05:18 PM
    I have a combination of Ubiquiti (phasing this out rapidly) and Cisco's CBW 240 AC line, (cheap and functional, works much better with iPhones than my old UBNT gear). I haven't tried the Aruba gear but it should be terrific.

I don't use a cloud controller and won't operate equipment that has to phone home to run. That is a non-negligible security and longevity risk in my humble opinion. The Ubnt hack in January shows why they should never be mandatory. Fortunately these InstantON switches don't require that at all.

By the way, if anyone at Aruba is reading this, please change your login page. Permit it to recall the user login name and most important, change the "sign up" and "sign on" buttons. Those are two completely different functions that should have completely different looks and placement. I've hit sign up a couple of times, then had to go back and enter my user name again--it's just an irritating paper cut.

• 5.  RE: PF Sense and Aruba Instant On

Posted 04-13-2021 08:36 PM
    I'm using OPNSense with a 1930 and 2 Aruba AP22s. I dropped Ubiquiti for the Arubas. Settings been great. Like JSmith I do routing at the OPNSense router. One because I'm running 10gb on it, and second because I get better visibility into the traffic between vlans.