Everything Instant On

• 1.  Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Posted 02-20-2020 01:55 PM

Hi Instant On Team,

I was wondering if there are any plans to provide the option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power?

I replaced my IAP-205 with 3x AP11D, I have one on each floor. According to my mobile device, when I am in same room as an AP11D, the signal is -35dBm, and the signal of the AP located in room below me is -55dBm. -35dBm is a little bit strong, especially when they are all outputting a similar signal, I know Apple mobile devices don't consider roaming until their signal level is around -70dBm. If we had the option to reduce the maximum output power of the AP then we could tweak it for our setups. 

Thanks,
    Scott.

• 2.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Posted 07-16-2020 12:58 AM

@scott83 I thought I heard this was an option now but I cannot seem to find it either... Maybe it was channel settings they said we can manually set now. But I could be wrong there too.

@GThiesen Is there an advanced wireless config area where we can set power or channel settings? Sorry if this is a recurring request you all get frequently.

• 3.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Employee
    Posted 07-16-2020 07:02 PM

@scott83 @twhiteWC Instant ON AP's currently have the ability to set channel width and channels, but not set the TX power.

From your main page click on inventory then on the right side of the page is a sprocket wheel click on that, then Radio Management where you can select your channel width. Then you will see all the channels that are active, just click on them to change them to grey or inactive.

• 4.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Posted 07-16-2020 11:21 PM
    This is helpful. Thanks @GThiesen! I’m currently dealing with a situation where the 2.4Ghz radio is especially underpowered. Here’s hoping Tx power settings are on the horizon. For now I’m just having to supplement with a legacy Wireless AP that has significantly higher Tx power. Not ideal but fills the gap.

• 5.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Posted 09-21-2020 04:50 PM

Just plugged in my first AP15 and can't believe this is not an option...

• 6.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Posted 09-21-2020 05:49 PM
    Yeah @ReliableNetwork I hear you. I'm getting to a place where I have to decide if I want to add another AP12 or 11 to cover the far edges of my house. If I could control power there would be no need at all.

• 7.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Employee
    Posted 09-21-2020 10:36 PM

Starting from version 2.1, APs start operating at maximum power on both radios.  Are you seeing the tx power being lowered automatically then after some period of time? 

• 8.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Posted 09-28-2020 08:21 PM
    @Stephane that is very helpful info. I checked and mine are on 2.1.0. I'm not sure that I'm seeing the signal drop over time. But I am noticing weak signals (-78 to -82) in further out areas where consumer APs were covering much better (-65 to -72). I would love to be able to see what the power level is for a given radio. It feels lower than it should be but I cannot say for sure.

• 9.  RE: Option to set/limit Maximum AP TX Power

Employee
    Posted 09-28-2020 11:32 PM

@twhiteWC 

You can see the transmit power being used by an AP by looking at the AP in the inventory.  The power level appears in the Radios section and you see the value in dBm for each band.