Everything Instant On

• 1.  Looking to upgrade home network to Instant On

Posted 07-26-2020 08:22 PM

Hello community.  I am looking to upgrade my home network/lab to some Instant On gear.  I am currently running a mikrotik RB4011 router running into multiple dummy switches (non poe) around the home.  I have 2 APs currently, and will be swapping those over to either the AP12 or AP 15 models.  I am thinking though, if that's still not enough, I may have to put one in the garage to get WiFi out there and in the backyard for gatherings, etc.  I'm thinking of doing one 8 port POE for my APs and VoIP phones and two 8 port non-poe, 1 in office for laptops, printers, NAS, 1 in my media cabinet in the living room for consoles, shield and to give hardwire access to laptops if needed.  My main concern is firmware/software upgrades.  I know for most enterprise gear, the software is locked behind a paywall, be that a support contract or a yearly "membership" fee.  Is this the same for the Instant On gear?  I'd hate to purchase it, everything is such a great price and a controller is not needed like UniFi gear, and get stuck on the same version for the forseeable future without spending loads of money.

Thanks for the insight!

• 2.  RE: Looking to upgrade home network to Instant On

Posted 07-27-2020 03:35 AM
    Currently there is no fee for istant on gear.
    Neither for the management nor for software updates.

The only option to pay money for instant on gear after buying it is for replacement on next business day and extended support and warranty if you need it.

• 3.  RE: Looking to upgrade home network to Instant On

Posted 07-27-2020 08:29 PM

Thanks for the reply!  Sounds like I'll be good for upgrading soon.

• 4.  RE: Looking to upgrade home network to Instant On

Posted 07-27-2020 08:39 PM

One other question.  Do any of the 8-port 1930 series switches have rack ears or are they meant to sit on a shelf?

• 5.  RE: Looking to upgrade home network to Instant On

Posted 07-28-2020 05:59 AM
    Except for the non poe 8 port Switch, they can all be rack mounted. I believe the poe 8 port switch comes with rack ears.

• 6.  RE: Looking to upgrade home network to Instant On

Employee
    Posted 07-28-2020 11:39 AM

I have the 1930 8 POE (JL681A). It did ship with rack mounting ears.

• 7.  RE: Looking to upgrade home network to Instant On

Employee
    Posted 07-31-2020 01:02 PM

Also remember that the AP11D can also be your router...