Everything Instant On

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Sonos Configuration

• 1.  Sonos Configuration

Posted 05-20-2020 09:23 AM

After many years of satisfied user of Aruba 103 IAP (4 pieces) switched to Instant on AP15 and AP17 for better performance and manageability. Performance and manageability no problem, until I tried to convert my Sonos to the new WiFi infrastructure.

So far only problems. Sonos speakers that are sometimes there and sometimes not, surround speakers I can not add or are partially added, wireless connection issues. :-(.... 

When I started messing around with IAP 103 in combination with Sonos I had problems, solved after 1/2 year, and now we start over again?

Is there a solution to this problem or should I just switch back to my IAP 103 infrastructure? All tips and tricks are welcome, and are there any more people who are struggling with this? I placed back 1 IAP 103 and configured my Sonos devices in under an 1/2 hour.

3 x AP!5, 1x AP17, Sonos Move, Sonos 1, Playbar, 2x Sonos Play 5 and Sonos Lamp

would like to hear

• 2.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 05-20-2020 11:45 AM

@KMT Yes, I think all Sonos users are having issues, depending on how they are connecting their speakers to their network. I like you was an IAP user, I had 3x IAP-205 and they worked well for me. Once Instant On firmware v1.4.0 was released I decided to retire my IAP-205 and switch to Instant On. I am running 3x AP11D for now, but wanted to eventually install AP12, AP15 and a AP17 outside in my backyard, anyways, the swap was good, everything ran great but then they introduced firmware v2.0.0 (and v2.0.1) and this introduced multicast and broadcast filtering and it breaks Sonos and other services that rely on mDNS and SSDP for device discovery. I have a couple tickets open with support on these issues but its been a couple weeks and its been radio silence on the issue. I have started this post on the issue:

https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Everything-Instant-On/BEWARE-of-version-2-0-0-if-you-use-Sonos/td-p/1803 

I was able to view all my speakers by setting them up to use Sonosnet except for my Move as it is wifi only. This update has rendered it useless, a $500 paperweight. 

• 3.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 05-21-2020 12:08 AM

I have an open case as well. Actually - within a few hours a support engineer will connect to my PC remotely and login (via SSH. Did you know it was possible? They had to enable that on the support side, and it does require an OTP generated for HPE employees, so I cannot override it and have a shell into the device...) to the AP (I have 4 AP12 devices) to take a network dump. I hope it will go well and they will release an update soon.

• 4.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 05-21-2020 04:15 AM

Why can they make it like on the "professional" version IAP's that you can switch it on or off?

I think that many private persons, but also smaller organizations that Instant On is intended for, also use equipment such as Sonos and you really need these protocols to make it work as it should.

Now I put 1 IAP 103 back online awaiting a fix from Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Employee
    Posted 06-05-2020 08:58 AM

@KMT Instant On 2.0.2 was released yesterday. Have it a try and let us know how it goes with your Sonos speakers. Thanks!

• 6.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 06-06-2020 01:55 PM

I updated to 2.0.2 but my Sonos is still not connecting. Are there any settings that need to be changd in order to make it work?

• 7.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 06-07-2020 02:33 AM

Only my Ikea Sonos lamp wil connect but my Move does not connect. After the question setup your wireless network I select my network, give in my password, and then after waiting a 2 minutes I get an error.

After reselecting my old IAP103 again it works like a treat. I will try my soundbar later today, keep you all posted

• 8.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 06-07-2020 08:51 AM
    Hi

I’ve the same problem over here, but there is a solution, If you contact a support engineer and let him disable broadcast filtering over SSH, you can connect all your Sonos products with no issues. Until you restart or update the instant on system..

• 9.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 06-07-2020 11:37 AM
    Maybe the best option would be to enable us to enable or disable broadcast filtering.

I had similar issues with other products (Raumfeld) in the past for which I needed to disable broadcast filtering on IAPs so they could work properly.

• 10.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 06-07-2020 05:59 PM

I was having an issue with 2.0.1 with 5 wireless and 1 wired sonos speakers.  

I copied this from the other post discussing sonos and what I did.

Today I changed my visibilty and control to summary

My 2.4 wifi band so only channel 1 is an option despite having 3 APs, deselected 6, 11 options

I put all my Sonos on wifi, disco'd the ethernet on two that were wired with wifi disabled.

changed sonosnet to use channel 1 too even though they're set for wifi (wm1)

Now they seem pretty stable.

I haven't tested since updating to 2.0.2 since the painters are at the job now and everything is disconnected.  I intend to put the connect back on the wired network and leave the play 1's and 3's wireless but on 2.0.1 I couldn't but with the setup above and everything on the hoes wifi they were woroking fine but with limited time to really test.  

• 11.  RE: Sonos Configuration

Posted 01-25-2022 10:44 AM

Was there ever any resolution to this set of issues?

I'm finding that I can't pair most of my Sonos gear.  I'm regretting buying Aruba. 

------------------------------
    Zak Berrie
    ------------------------------