Instant On - Wireless

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Intermittent performance from my AP22

• 1.  Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-20-2020 04:25 PM
    I have just purchased an AP22 around 2 weeks ago and replaced my Cisco MR24 with it. Initially I was very impressed, a few speed test from my phone and laptop maxed out my internet connection at 325Mbps/49Mbps which I couldn't do on the MR24. 

However I have been having weird issues... my Samsung phone was working fine for a week or so then randomly the Wi-Fi wouldn't connect. It showed a strong signal but "unable to get IP address", but at the same time my other Wi-Fi devices (Laptop, another phone were uninterrupted) 10 mins later all working again, all by itself and has been since. If it was just that I wouldn't have worried but a few times when going into chrome app on my phone about 1 in 10 times the web page will be slow and maybe show page unavailable followed by immediately the page loading normally. - that's never happened before.

My girlfriend started complaining her iPhone X was slow as well since I installed the AP22, not even realising we have a new AP, but its not a coincidence... for her her apps like facebook just took 10-20 seconds to respond some times, then worked ok. Occasionally the phone flipped to 4G before going right back onto the Wi-Fi 1 second later. again that's new.

Next issue was on my fireTV stick (4k version) and trying to play youtube videos, which my son does every day and its been perfect, but just wouldn't work, even in low definition, which needs barely 1Mbps... Its been working for almost 2 weeks, but not yesterday... buffering immediately and constantly. At the same time a speed test on my phone was low at 20-30mbps upload and download. but my wired PC was still maxing 325/49Mbps. That was the last straw and I am now posting this using my Cisco MR24 again. :-( 

My work laptop with intel AX201 nic and girlfriends macbook air (unknown NIC) and her work laptop (unknown intel nic) have had no issues what-so-ever and we are both using them all day on remote sessions to our respective offices without any gitch. 

I only have just the one access point for my small home, minimal WiFi neighbours (none with 5ghz) and I have 2 SSIDs my main one set to only 5ghz has most devices connected and the second only set to 2.4ghz for my printer (poor lonely printer), both on the same LAN, no VLANs and a Draytek router. 

before I gave up with it I had a poke around and turned off application monitoring on the AP but it made no difference. 

Anyone any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Graeme Evans

• 2.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-20-2020 04:38 PM

Hi!

I have the same problem!
    everything worked fine for 4-5days!

I have randomly problem with sonos, laptop, iot devices like ikea smart hub ++.

have you disabled wifi6?

switched back to unifi pro and no issues!

did some test with ap12, cannot see same problem with them 

Aruba please fix 😜 

• 3.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-20-2020 04:57 PM
    I haven't yet tried WiFi6 turned off, though when I have more time this weekend I'll give it a try.

Wi-Fi 5 AC is still very capable but I'll basically have paid double for an AP11/12!

Graeme Evans

• 4.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-20-2020 07:00 PM
    I found out bridge modus is the culplit, when u use NAT modus no problems with WiFi6 or WPA3. But then, I don't need double NAT.

To bad Aruba hasn't fixed the AP22 for months now. Even latest firmware changelog (where they acknowledge AP22 v2.1.1 bugs) has dissapeared from wireless release notes. 

@GThiesen please step up the game. Fix forum (old users can't log in since forum update and participate). Reupload release notes. Fix bugs, AP22 is cripple.

- edit - 

Nope, after about 10 days running NAT modus problems re-occur.

• 5.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Employee
    Posted 11-20-2020 07:28 PM
    Jaap thank you for the feedback and the known bugs in 2.1.1 with AP22. We will make sure that the release notes are posted once again. I will alert the admins of the site to investigate user issues.

Greg Thiesen

• 6.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-20-2020 07:52 PM
    Thnx! I see you reuploaded changelog fast, that's good.

I experienced bug SMB-5052 is only in bridged modus, not in NAT modus. Maybe this information could help staff fix it.

- edit -

Nope, after about 10 days running NAT modus problems re-occur.

• 7.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-21-2020 05:23 AM
    Where can I find info regarding bug "SMB-5052" ?

• 8.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-21-2020 05:43 AM
    v2.1.1 release notes, known issues. 

There are a load of other threads where AP22 users get advice to disable WiFi6 or WPA3. AP22 a firmware / feature simplyfied version of the AP-500 hardware. AP22 has been flawd since release. Lots of new users wanting a licence free Aruba access point getting a disappointed start.

Instant On, is a young project and has great potential to get a wide customer base. It's Aruba without licence fees :) Trimmed down firmware is ok for 90% of users, just needs to be (feature) finetuned and fixed.

• 9.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-23-2020 08:58 AM
    any estimated firmware fix for bug id SMB-5052?

• 10.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-24-2020 06:24 AM
    I would also like to know. Have been waiting to be able to use AP22 as advertised since I bought it.

@GThiesen
    When solid firmware? Not aking for quick release of more features, just fix bug. It's been months. ​​

Jaap Vaak

• 11.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-25-2020 09:30 PM
    I'm seeing the same issues as Jaap in two sites with ap22's. One is my personal environment so I'm able to get around it mostly by just quickly turning one channel off and back on to get the ap's to reset the ssids. The client's site I've had to leave wifi6 turned off for right now.

Donato Orlando
    Engineering Services Lead
    GDR Group

• 12.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-26-2020 01:20 PM
    the issue occurs for me on the AP22 with and without wifi 6 enabled

Graeme Evans

• 13.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-26-2020 02:30 PM
    I have given up, I need a working access point, I can't wait days or weeks or who knows how long - I'm returning my AP22 to where I purchased it, as far as I'm concerned its not fit for purpose. I was going to wait but after seeing that an outage of the cloud management caused some people to loose local Wi-Fi, and not just the ability to make changes I'm decided. Its got to go.

Graeme Evans

• 14.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-27-2020 06:49 AM
    @GThiesen @jamietest @Greg_Weaver @amolmitra @aditipandey @Sharanya @Rizwan @Stephane how about doing something more then just saying "Thanx for the feedback, I'll pass it on to management". As AP22 owner I'm also loosing patience here. You also can't be proud of pushing a faulty product to customors, writing the greatest "set and forget" blogs, while it's actually "set and reboot / tinker daily to get devices connected".

What is the progress of getting bug SMB-5052 fixed?
    Any ETA?           ​​​​​​

I feel you need some help / motivation to get things done. If you keep ignoring this issue, only giving "Try to disable Wi-Fi6 / WPA3" advice, I'm going to keep replying to all your blogs / articles reminding you of your jobs and false "This is a great product" information to future customors.

Jaap Vaak

• 15.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Employee
    Posted 11-30-2020 05:30 PM
    Hi All

We specifically mentioned the issue in the release notes. Please call support and report if you continue to see this or other issues. 
    In the meantime, are working to fix it as part of the next release.

Sharanya Prasad

• 16.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-30-2020 05:44 PM
    I have wasted so much time calling support! 1hour today, none of my serial numbers was found in the database so they cannot create a ticket! This is not a new problem and both we and you knows the issue, so why do we have to call support? We need firmware fix and information

• 17.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-30-2020 05:47 PM
    Fun fact, same release notes were missing for over a month and only re-uploaded after asking. I could not log in and ask sooner, since maintenaince broke community. Should have been fixed before pointed out.

Mentioning it does not justify not fixing it since the 13th of october already. Even before the 13th AP22 was not stable...

If you mention a even worse bug next release, could I roll back? Nope... 

Support has been tried. Also how could support help if it's firmware related? If they could, just push fix to all AP22 owners now. 

I regret trusting you to fix stuff beyond my window of being able to get a refund. Now I'm stuck you and you with me.

I need a clear eta, wait should be days not a abstract time period.

Jaap Vaak

​​​​​

• 18.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 11-30-2020 05:53 PM
    "Fix it as part of next release..."

Just hotfix it first, complete the rest of the release while we have stable connectivity.

How are you not motivated to fix this in days?

• 19.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 12-13-2020 07:58 PM
    [edit] it looks to be somewhat better now, still test driving and looking at environment as well. Stable performance gives opportunity for that now [/edit]

it's unbelievable how bad it is, spent so much money on APs that just wont do the job, especially connections with apple devices are horrible. they drop off, can't get IP or can't smoothly switch to other AP when moving around (even with wifi6 and wpa3 off )

is there any way to work around it and make it somewhat bearable or are we left at the mercy of support?

F L

• 20.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 12-15-2020 01:19 AM
    Have you tried the new firmware​? So far it seems to fix the issues I was having with the access points.

• 21.  RE: Intermittent performance from my AP22

Posted 12-15-2020 03:37 AM
    Yup, AP22 is fine now with WPA3 WiFi6 enabled. v2.2.0 = 👌

Jaap Vaak