Everything Instant On

View Only
  • 1.  Aruba Instant On Class-6 PoE Switches and Unify IP Phones PoE Incompatibility Issues

Employee
    Posted 04-21-2022 12:27 PM

When connected to Aruba Instant On Class-6 PoE Switches, some Unifi IP phones draw excessive power that may result in damage to the phone.

Some Unifi IP phones exhibit a PoE incompatibility with Aruba Instant On Class-6 PoE switches that might result in a hard failure of the phone. The failure may not occur upon initial connection to the Aruba Instant On switch. Rather, the failure symptom may become visible after a switch reboot, switch power cycle, phone reboot, or disconnecting and reconnecting the phone to the switch.

To learn more, please review the PDF attached. 

------------------------------
    Aruba Instant On Communications

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant On Class-6 PoE Switches and Unify IP Phones PoE Incompatibility Issues

Posted 04-25-2022 10:57 AM
    After reading the support advisory I still have a few questions.  Just for clarification is this an Aruba 1960 problem or a Unifi IP phone problem?  I'm not looking to place blame as much as understanding what the risk is of me burning out customer's older 802.3at or 802.3af devices when installing Aruba 1960s.  It adds extra effort if we have to start profiling all our clients  PDs and labeling older 802.3at or 802.3af ports to make sure that they are only connected into the v4 ports and make sure sales does not count the v6 ports when quoting equipment.

I would just like to get guidance as to whether we are likely to see this same type of problem with other older or cheaper PoE devices. I'm not a PoE expert but why would the 1960 be offering power on all 4 pairs to a 802.3at or 802.3af PD device in the first place. Also, if a PD identifies as an 802.3af device why would the 1960 provide more than maximum allowed 350 mA. I know some Ubiquiti devices use non-standard PoE which could explain this but if these particular Unifi IP phones are using standard 802.3at or 802.3af this sounds like a possible PSE power negotiation problem leading to the 1960 providing too much power.  

Thanks,

Jim Greco

• 3.  RE: Aruba Instant On Class-6 PoE Switches and Unify IP Phones PoE Incompatibility Issues

Posted 04-28-2022 05:10 PM
    Unless it's a spelling error, I think they are referring to Unify and not Ubiquiti UniFi... I was confused at first also..but it appears there is a manufacturer of IP phones called Unify.....

Chris Bunting