I have noticed an intermittent and seemingly random PoE issue on our Aruba 1830 switches (JL815A). Devices will refuse to power over PoE on a particular port, but will work when tried on a different 1830 or even on the same switch but a different port. After a reboot switch ports that were working with PoE suddenly stop working. There was an odd issue I saw with two UniFi access points that wouldn't power up when plugged in one after another, but when both were plugged in at the exact same time they would. I've already RMA'd two 1830s, but still have the same problem with the replacements so my guess is a bug?
My team would like to look further into this with you. Can you reach out to our support team for more assistance? https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/
I found a workaround to get PoE working on all my devices now. I have to unplug ports 1-2. Then re-plug everything in that wasn't working via PoE, which then power up and after that plug in the devices on port 1 and 2, but it has to happen at the exact same time. If ports 1 and 2 are not plugged in at the exact same time they won't both power up the devices.
There is a 1830 POE problem.
We too have a similar problem.
It seems to have been solved in a similar way.
I accidentally solved it, but there is a problem.
this will have to be resolved
I faced similar issues with JL815A. But saidly your suggested workaround did not fully fit for me, since after a reboot of the switch seems to randomly power only a few devices...
I have 4 UniFi APs (UAP-AC-Lite) connected and one VoiP phone. Ports 1-5. Rebot switch, only port 1 and 3 or 1 and 2 are getting powered.
Then I played a little bit around. APs (port 3,4,5,23), phone port 24, reboot, only port 3,4,23,24 were receiving power.
Next attempt, APs (port 3,4,15,23), phone port 24, all devices got power, reboot switch, only port 3,15,23,24 were receiving power.
Tested on firmware versions: 2.5.0 and 2.7.0
Does anyone have an idea how to resolve it? Or will there be an firmware update soon? Or is it a hardware bug?
The device is useless for me this way!
I am not an English-speaking country, so I hope you understand that I am not good at English.
What I solved was this I hope Aruba-related engineers see it and solve it quickly.
I did the below and it solved.
1.1830 PoE Switch PoE Device (AP) Unplug all connectors.(Keep your ISP link in the cloud or locally)
2.Power off the 1830 PoE switch.
3. Connect all PoE devices (APs) to the 1830 PoE switch that is powered off.
4. Power on the 1830 PoE switch.
in other words! I don't know if it causes LLDP negotiation problems when connecting APs one by one. It's just my thoughts.
So I thought. Let's boot all the APs at once at the same time.As above, turn off the switch power and connect all APs at the same time.I applied power to the switch and all APs were able to get power.And even if I turn on/off the power of the AP, it returns to normal. I can't understandI've fixed it, but I'm pretty sure there's a problem.
아I hope this is resolved before I am disappointed with Aruba products.
I created a support case for this issue and apparently it is known already. No indication when this will be fixed. It's a pretty big issue so I hope it's resolved quickly. I'm quite disappointed with the 1830s which I only bought as the 1820s are now EoS.
Thank you very much for your information about the known issue and opening the support case.
I really hope they get that fixed soon. I've in the meantime managed to get an refurbished 1820-48G. But as you said, this device is EoS.
If there is no fix soon, then I thend to return the 1830 device and go for another product...
We have the same problem with two 1830 24p (JL813A). We also have five 1830 8p (JL811A) that we haven´t tested yet. I guess they might have the same issues.
I hope this will be fixed soon.
Hi, if you're still having issues, please reach out to our support team directly for assistance. https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/
Original Message:Sent: 02-21-2023 09:26 AMFrom: MB81Subject: Weird PoE Issues on 48p 1830 Switch JL815A
I'm hitting this problem too, on a brand new "1830 24G 12p Class4 PoE 2SFP 195W Switch JL813A", firmware 2.8.0.If I plug only one device, every port delivers PoE. When I connect a second one, it works only if connected to a few ports.
Same here,The problem is well know but after three months is not resolved. I have 10 switch with this faulty behaviour.I'm from italy, and you?
I'm from Italy too! In the end I had my supplier replace the switch with a 1930, the incompatibility with the 1830 is acknowledged by Aruba: https://community.arubainstanton.com/discussion/aruba-instant-on-1430-1830-switches-poe-interoperability-issue-with-ubiquiti-and-cambium-networks-access-points
Same problem here too. ( JL815A - 1830 48G 24p )Our issue is primarily related to the following advisory, which is what appears to be the same issue most here are experiencing.https://community.arubainstanton.com/discussion/aruba-instant-on-1430-1830-switches-poe-interoperability-issue-with-ubiquiti-and-cambium-networks-access-pointsHave logged a support (as suggested by JM52 to contact them direct) however nothing appears to be in the pipeline to resolve this issue. Support case was originally logged on the 20th April, and still no word of any action, just apologies for delays etc.Causing all sorts of issues for our customer, and not a good look. We just want this new Aruba switch to work as it should.If we knew of this limitation, we would have quoted / supplied a different unit.Surely a firmware fix can be made, otherwise give us the option to have these units replaced with an alternative model that doesn't have this silly bug.