AP without Internet Connection

Dante2137
New Contributor

AP without Internet Connection

Hi everyone, i want to ask about the APs and the Internet connection.

I know it is necessary to work, but there any form to keep the configuration if the AP shuttdown and power again, but there not connection to Internet.

I tested to create the site and SSID, and remove the Internet connection, the SSID maintain transmitting, but when shutdown and power again, without Internet, keep blinking on green the led and nothing happen.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: AP without Internet Connection

@Dante2137 This is not expected behavior please reach out to support for assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
_Fred_
New Contributor

How did you disabled the Internet connection to the AP? Did you administratively disabled the port on which the AP is connected to? Or even physically removed the Ethernet cable connected to the AP?

0 Kudos
Lrosielle

Hello,

I have tested the same, and it is indeed not possible.

So you need to have an active connection to internet to use Instanton, if your internet connection breaks for a few minutes there is no issue and the wireless network stays up, connectivity also still works.

However after a reboot, there is no connection to the cloud and thus doesn;t start up. It takes a lot longer to get to the local webpage: https://[local ip]:4343/debugInfo. but it will load eventually but will not be usable as an active AP.

kind regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
_Fred_
New Contributor

I can definitely confirm that the Instant On AP will restore its local configuration and broadcast SSID even if you do not have Internet access. However, if you have actually physically removed the cable or shutdown the port, then it is definitely not a proper way to simulate a problem with the Internet. With no physical wired link, the AP will think it has to reach the network using a mesh/wireless connection and will start trying to search for another AP to connect to. This is most likely your situation and explains why the AP is taking 'a long time' to respond.