BEWARE of version 2.0.0 if you use Sonos

Highlighted
Contributor I

BEWARE of version 2.0.0 if you use Sonos

Version 2.0.0 on Instant On introduces "Shared Services" which is probably just enabling "Airgroup" - it seems to work okay with common mDNS services like Airplay, Googlecast, etc. but it does NOT work with Sonos. All my speakers that used the Instant On AP's for their connection have disappeared, all the wired speakers (with wifi disabled) remain. I have power cycled everything and it has no affect. I'm guessing that when "Shared Services" was built into the latest release, they also enabled multicast filtering for the AP, Sonos uses UPNP SSDP multicast for discovery and control. At a minimum the following needs to be enabled for Sonos to work:

Sonos Airgroup service

airgroupservice "Sonos"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupRenderingControl:1"
id "urn:schemas-sonos-com:service:Queue:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:RenderingControl:1"
id "urn:schemas-tencent-com:service:QPlay:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupManagement:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ZoneGroupTopology:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:serviceSmiley Very HappyeviceProperties:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:MusicServices:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AlarmClock:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:ZonePlayer:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:serviceSmiley FrustratedystemProperties:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1"
id "urn:smartspeaker-audio:serviceSmiley FrustratedpeakerGroup:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AudioIn:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:EmbeddedNetDevice:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:EmbeddedNetDeviceControl:1"
id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:HTControl:1"

I'm guessing their is no way for me to roll back firmware to v1.4.1?

I'm going to try moving the Sonos speakers off of the Aruba AP and onto Sonosnet with the hopes that I will be able to least use them again for the time being, but seeing as the Sonos Move is only wifi/bluetooth, with no access to Sonosnet, it will be rendered useless until this gets fixed. 

Thanks,

Scott.

0 Kudos
37 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: BEWARE of version 2.0.0 if you use Sonos

@scott83

I got the same problem with the update.  In my case I am using the Spotify app and it no longer detected the speakers.

Then I used the Sonos app directly:  it saw my speakers and I was able to play Sonos Radio.  I then used Spotify inside the Sonos app and that worked too.

I then went back to the Spotify app and I could see the speakers and was then able to play music directly from the Spotify app.

Can you try and get back to this community to see if you made it work?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor I

Hey Stephane,

Only 5 of my 9 speakers show up in the Spotify app, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me. Spotify Connect also uses mDNS for discovery and if they have enabled multicast filtering on the AP now and haven't allowed the Spotify Connect mDNS traffic then it will break like it has done with the Sonos UPNP SSDP multicast. 

I tried again to setup my Sonos Move speaker after a factory reset but it failed, it connects to the AP fine, but it is missing the UPNP SSDP traffic specific to Sonos and it won't let me finish setting it up. Oddly enough, the Airplay function of the Move works as "Unnamed Room" as it isn't completely setup as the Sonos Controller app on my phone can't see the speaker. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I only use my Sonos speakers for airplay and it is hit or miss if they actually show up as an airplay speaker. One of them will occasionally show up and I can airplay but the other has not come back as an airplay speaker but both my Apple TV's show up under AirPlay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor I

@Fortyfourfive I just noticed that on my MBP that most of the Sonos Airplay audio targets have disappeared. All of them were there this morning, now only 2 remain, the Apple TV target is still there. If I look at the "Services detected on this network" under "Shared Services" on my SSID configuration they are all identified still so I'm not sure what is up with that. They do appear to be working on my son's iPad and my work iPhone. 

I tried using Airgroup on my Aruba Instant setup back in the day but I bailed on it, too many issues with Chromecast, and sadly with Instant On we have no ability to add custom services, restrict it to specific VLANs, or disable it. I have to admit that Airgroup did work flawless with my Sonos when it was setup as a custom service with the details I mentioned above. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor I

I have a more complicated setup than most:

VLAN 201 : main SSID - where all my mobile devices, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc. and majority of my Sonos reside

VLAN110 : Sonos beta SSID - I have a handful of speakers here, on a different Sonos account, that I use when I participate in Sonos betas.

VLAN 102 : guest SSID - guests / my work phone cause don't trust my IT department

My guest SSID can see all of the airplay and chromecast devices on the other two VLAN / SSID! This is without checking to allow them in the "Shared Services" tab! If I enter firewall rules to allow traffic between the VLANS on my router, it actually connects! I don't think this should be expected behaviour! If it's not checked to allow this then I don't think the services should be visible on other SSID! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor I

I don't use SONOS myself but I'm using Raumfeld. This seems to be working fine up to now but I will monitor it.

Did anyone who has problem with SONOS already contact support on this?

I guess this would be the best option.
I already had contact to support a few times and one of these contacts ended in the implementation of the ability to choose which wifi channels shouldn't be used.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Hello,

It is not only Sonos, my DLNA server also vanished from the network.

I am unable to make it work since the update.

Regards,

R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor I

@Rurik Yeah, unfortunately they are probably blocking the Service ID's required for your DLNA service to work.

I did some more research by looking in the Sonos device XML files and then confirming with an old IAP-205 with Airgroup enabled, on the DLNA side, Sonos requires the following to work:

urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:ZonePlayer:1 
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AlarmClock:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:MusicServices:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:serviceSmiley Very HappyeviceProperties:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:serviceSmiley FrustratedystemProperties:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ZoneGroupTopology:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupManagement:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:HTControl:1
urn:schemas-tencent-com:service:QPlay:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:RenderingControl:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1
urn:schemas-sonos-com:service:Queue:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupRenderingControl:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:VirtualLineIn:1
urn:smartspeaker-audio:serviceSmiley FrustratedpeakerGroup:1

I haven't been able to confirm the other two I posted earlier (that was a copy+paste from the arubanetworks.com forums and not confirmed by me) so I'm not sure of there origin and if they are actually needed or not:

urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:EmbeddedNetDevice:1
urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:EmbeddedNetDeviceControl:1

Sonos is now also using mdns (this is new to me, a couple years ago there was no mdns on sonos, it looks like only the newer players are using mdns, the old ZP120/Connect:AMP doesn't use mdns) for mdns to work, Sonos requires:

_sonos._tcp

The following is required for Spotify Connect to work: (When I added this in Airgroup, all my Sonos players immediately became visible in the Spotify app):

_spotify-connect._tcp

Other important mdns services required for home automation:

Homekit:

_hap._tcp
_homekit._tcp

Lutron Caseta (Smartbridge):

_lutron._tcp 

I'll open a ticket with support tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Dear Instant On Community,

Thank you for your feedback. We were able to reproduce the issue with Sonos speakers not being detected by music streaming apps and are working on a solution.

Until the problem is resolved, if you experience issues with your Sonos speakers, please try the following steps:

• Open your Sonos app and you should see all your speakers. Inside the Sonos app, select “Browse” and play music with one of your music services.
  • Then you can leave the Sonos app and open your music service app directly. You should now be able to connect to your Sonos speakers. 
  • Other music apps should also now detect the speakers. Note: we tested this procedure with Spotify.

As well, the reported DLNA issue is now solved. You can upgrade your Instant On Access point to version 2.0.1 to get the fix.

We regret the inconvenience and thank you for your support.

0 Kudos