Everything Instant On

• 1.  How to manage or setp Instanton AP's when internet is down/not available ?

Posted 10-23-2019 10:47 AM

Last week i had an outage on my internet connection. As a consequence i noticed that my Instanton cluster was not managable anymore, even while i was connected in the same network. This got me thinking: is there a way that in such a case, management via local network is still possible. e;g: With Aruba Instant and Cloud Central, you can still manage the local cluster by connecting to to ip of the local master in the cluster - is there a similar option with Instanton ? 

On the same subject: if a customer wants to have a wireless solution, but does not have internet access, for instance an environment where one wants to offer content from a local source and no internet is allowed for security reasons. Could Instanton be a solution in this scenario or do we have to offer Instant or full Aruba portfolio ? 

In short: is an internet connection requierd to be able to setup the AP's ?

• 2.  RE: How to manage or setp Instanton AP's when internet is down/not available ?

Posted 10-23-2019 02:26 PM

AFAIK you need internet to setup and for administration purposes, but not for providing service, i.e. you set it up while connected to the cloud, then you can disable internet until you need to change any setting. The instant on "cluster" will still provide internal connectivity meanwhile.

• 3.  RE: How to manage or setp Instanton AP's when internet is down/not available ?

Employee
    Posted 10-24-2019 12:01 PM

@yousch  Instant ON is a cloud-based platform that requires an internet connection to set up the AP's and make changes to the network. If you do take the Internet connection down the AP will continue to broadcast the SSID and route local traffic. You can view the AP status by connecting to the local IP address of the AP but no configurations. If you require the ability to have visibility to the AP for statistics and configuration Aruba Instant would be the direction to go.