Everything Instant On

• 1.  List of Desired / Missing Features

Posted 08-19-2019 03:18 PM

Being aware the SMB product line must differentiate itself form enterprise level products and cannot provide the same feature set, consider the following as an incomplete list of suggestions.

My wishlist:

• local user database for enterprise authenticatino in addition to external RADIUS server
    • configurable NTP server used by access points
    • configurable bandwidth limit for guest networks
    • block "unwanted" traffic especially for guest networks
    • ability to receive alarms by email or SNMP traps
    • manually triggered software updates
    • logfile download and/or syslog support

Nice to have:

• better, more meaningful statistics (weekly, port-based etc.)
    • block traffic identified in analysis or defined by some kind of ACL

Other members already suggsted (i might have missed something):

• static channel assignment for the 2.4GHz band
    • MAC address "nickname" assignement
    • LED light control

Already accessible through debug information on individual access points, but would be great if displayed in App / Cloud UI:

• show NTP status
    • show version of installed software

What would you like to see?

• 2.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Posted 08-20-2019 02:39 AM
    I found the following additional feature requests by other members:
    • deny/permit by MAC address
    • notification/alarm when new, unknown client joins
    • MPSK support
    • external captive portal
    • generated token based guest access
    • payment processing for guest access
    • two factor authentication for admin logon
    The following features have already been mentioned to be included in future releases:
    • social media guest login
    • DHCP service (for non-guest networks)
    • "bandwidth contract"

• 3.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Posted 08-23-2019 07:15 AM

i would also like the ability to turn off 2.4ghz  and to be able to assign the 2.4 and 5ghz radios to a network. so i can seperate them out. In my experience with the 11d the band steering isnt very good on these so far and would like to do it manually.

• 4.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Employee
    Posted 09-09-2019 08:14 PM

Thank you for your feedback, appreciate it. We will keep this under consideration as we work on the roadmap for Instant On.

• 5.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Employee
    Posted 02-27-2020 02:56 AM

Hi - this is possible now with 1.4 code - you can control band used for each network profile (ssid) :

Just go Networks -> Edit Setting -> Options -> far right sections allow you to setup band used (by default it is both 2.4 & 5).

If you need separate network for each radio, you would need to create two profiles - one fo 2.4 and one for 5 and then change nad used for each of them

Hope this helps.

• 6.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Posted 10-31-2019 03:49 AM
    Quota base or Bandwidth limit base Guest token generate is very useful

• 7.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Posted 11-19-2019 03:49 PM

I'm totally agree with your post. IMHO Aruba Instant On is a stripped down version of Aruba 3xx series, at least on the software side. I understand that they have to do it that way to differentiate Aruba Instant On with Aruba Instant Acess Point. But I feel like I have been cheated by Aruba Instant On access point. It's quite shocking that it doesn't have such a basic and simple feature which separates 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSID, channel assignment and channel width option. Not everyone wants to depend on Band Steering, auto channel assignment and use 80 MHz channel width. Some people wants to use 2.4 GHz with 20 MHz channel width or 5 GHz with 40 MHz channel width. In fact Band Steering is unreliable. I always opt for separated SSID and let my users have the freedom to choose which band they want to connect subject to their smartphone and laptop Wi-Fi capability.

The software experience is a disaster. Users cannot connect to the access point's web interface via Local Area Network by entering the access point's IP address into the web browser like what we are able to do on other access points. The webpage only shows information like Device Information, Connectivity, Network Information, Time and nothing else. We are bound to the mobile app and portal.arubainstanton.com which require internet connection and features are extremely limited. If I had known this I would not buy the AP15, I would rather go with the Aruba 300 series or 500 series since I'm already an existing Aruba 325 user.

• 8.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Posted 12-08-2019 04:44 PM
    I understand your point, as understand Instant On to be basic with features, it does not allow even to set basics like disabling 2.4 (or highly limiting 2.4 power levels). Now the 5Ghz cell is smaller then the 2.4 Ghz cell providing unpredictable roaming with very undesired roaming between 2.4 and 5Ghz. Let put it like this, even disabling or limiting power level should even small business require for achieving optimal roaming behavior.

• 9.  RE: List of Desired / Missing Features

Employee
    Posted 02-27-2020 03:06 AM

Hi,

please note that described functionalities (channel selection) is available with 1.4 code. If you go to Inventory, and click gear icon (upper right corrner), you can manually set channel widht, and list of available channels thant can be used.

Regarding band selection per SSID this is also available, as explained in other post.

As for management mode, this is clearly explained in product guides. Local management is not an option, but also please note that functionallity of devices is not under risk if Internet service is down (you cannot change configuration, but devices will continue to work). 

Please take into considiration that ability to remotely manage WiFi infrastructure (on multiple sites), without suscription license is not an option with many other products.